Regular Contributor

I totally agree with you BirdieGal. 

@BirdieGal wrote:

My husband and I just got our credit reports from all three companies then put a freeze on our credit through each one as well.

We have been doing a lot of research and what we have seen is that most of the services that these protection services offer can be done for free by the consumer. 

It truly angers me that this was done by a company that none of us have any choice but to have a relationship with. And yet this happens. And the execs knew and sold their stock more than a month before they released the info. 

This is criminal and I really hope will be dealt with. Not holding my breath.

Contributor

Shouldn't Equifax put a FREEZE on every single account they have in their database----automatically? That way all would be secure from now on! Why should we consumers have to be saddled with contacting them to do this? They screwed up royally to begin with! It is their responsibility to FIX it, make it right for consumers! And we have to "pay" for a 'freeze' besides? Give me a break! Why isn't some big shot government official stepping in to help? Some have made their complaints heard, so, do something about it!! Anyone else feel the same as I do?

Trusted Contributor

@Malacha

While Equifax is not putting an automatic freeze on everyone's credit through them, they are offering it free for 30 days if you do it within that time period. 

I would not not trust them to do anything right now so even if they announced they were doing it automatically I would still go in and manually do it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trusted Id Premier

[ Edited ]

You need to freeze all credit bureaus as they share info with Equifax. I did some research and freezing your credit only causes complcations if you're trying to get new accounts; all your current accounts are fully functioning while your credit is frozen.

Esteemed Contributor

No individual,qualifies to be called a "customer" of Equifax in spite of their self serving statements to the contrary.  we are more like their experimental rats in a cage.  THe customers of Equifax are the banks and other financial service companies who use them to obtain credit information and scores.  We have no choice but to be part of their little scheme.  We never entered into a agreement or legal contract with them but we are the stuckees.  It is no wonder that people are so furious about this data breach.

Valued Contributor

When I went to transunion to freeze I got up to the 7.50 I have to pay in my state and then it said system failed try another time. I was charged the money no pin and I cannot get any one live to ask. Try again Monday I guess.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

No individual,qualifies to be called a "customer" of Equifax in spite of their self serving statements to the contrary.  we are more like their experimental rats in a cage.  THe customers of Equifax are the banks and other financial service companies who use them to obtain credit information and scores.  We have no choice but to be part of their little scheme.  We never entered into a agreement or legal contract with them but we are the stuckees.  It is no wonder that people are so furious about this data breach.

You said it!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trusted Id Premier

[ Edited ]

@Ibby114 wrote:

@Krimpette wrote:

I bit the bullet and signed up for LifeLock.  Did it through mrrebates and got an awesome rebate.

@Krimpette I question the strength of  LifeLock's services... the CEO had his identify stolen several times!

@Ibby114. They monitor, they don't prevent.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@BirdieGal wrote:

My husband and I just got our credit reports from all three companies then put a freeze on our credit through each one as well.

We have been doing a lot of research and what we have seen is that most of the services that these protection services offer can be done for free by the consumer. 

It truly angers me that this was done by a company that none of us have any choice but to have a relationship with. And yet this happens. And the execs knew and sold their stock more than a month before they released the info. 

This is criminal and I really hope will be dealt with. Not holding my breath.

That 's what really got to me - there were a few top executives that sold their stock to the tune of millions before the information was released to the public.  The greed and lack of ethics these guys have is unbelievable - add to that selfishness and not caring about their customers.  Trust is gone from these guys.

Respected Contributor

@donna47 wrote:

Shouldn't Equifax put a FREEZE on every single account they have in their database----automatically? That way all would be secure from now on! Why should we consumers have to be saddled with contacting them to do this? They screwed up royally to begin with! It is their responsibility to FIX it, make it right for consumers! And we have to "pay" for a 'freeze' besides? Give me a break! Why isn't some big shot government official stepping in to help? Some have made their complaints heard, so, do something about it!! Anyone else feel the same as I do?

Agree and seems good in theory but I imagine they'd have to offer an opt-out option bc anyone looking for a mortgage or car loan would have to unfreeze their credit to do so. 

I just moved to a new home in May and when I was shopping for a mortgage there were hard inquiries to my credit to determine what I'd qualify for and at what rate.  I'd be angry if my credit had been automatically frozen and I had to pay to unfreeze what was done without my consent.  Also I noticed that the mortgage company I chose had made 2 inquiries into my credit - one when I was given my limit/rate early on and run again before they issued the check to my builder.  I'd hate to be at the mercy of any of the credit bureaus to get it done in a timely manner.