Honored Contributor

Last week, we lost a huge branch off of a tree in our backyard because of ice.  It was so heavy, it broke off.  

Honored Contributor

@ShowMe@lOL...I thought she meant Christmas tree...who know where the mind goes.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack@dex. Sorry this happened.  My first thought, also, was that your Christmas tree had crashed.

Hope @NickNack your other neighbor takes care of the dead tree removal.  Much as I love trees it is no fun when they are dead and wreak havoc due to winter snow or ice storms, tornadoes, or hurricanes.  I have lived through the unpleasantness of all three.

Honored Contributor

It's so nice to have trees on your property, and they do add value, but they can be quite an expense, can't they?  Our condo community is heavily treed and we pay a lot for ongoing maintenance of trees and clean-up following major storms.  But I'm sure the amount we pay (built into our condo fees) is nothing like the amount an individual homeowner pays.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

All types of pine trees have shallow roots,we see many that have fallen around here.

@goldensrbest

Actually the Long Leaf Pines we have around here have long tap roots.  They don’t fall over, they get full of ice and snap off 20 ft or so in the air and the ice filled top comes crashing through your roof.  Not so good.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@NickNack

After Matthew we had a huge double Hickory fall right next to our drive.  It is huge.  Now we have snow, ice and freezing cold.

After Matthew we couldn’t get a tree crew for love or money.  Once this ice weather is past it will likely be worse.  I love our trees, loosing one is such a loss in so many ways.  No telling how long we’ll have to wait now to get cleaned up.

Hope your fence is Ok.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack@Drythe, on Christmas Day last year we had two 50 spruce come down in record winds.  The wind howled so loud, we never even heard the trees fall.  We did the cleanup ourselves.  It took three days in wintry conditions.  The root system was huge.  We used the hole it left to burn the limbs.  Then we had our neighbor bring over his tractor and upright the large stumps we left.  I had to redo the garden in that area.  LM

Honored Contributor

I called the Tree service that I used last year to cut back branches that were touching the power lines.  They're coming to give me an estimate to remove the one that fell over and the remaining four or five trees.  I had two leland cypress in that row fall over previously and am really worried about the remaining ones, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I have a friend that lives in Virginia.

The weight of the weekend snow collapsed both their car ports

There were cars under them and they will have to wait for the snow to melt before they can figure out how to get them out.  The only good thing is that the collapse stopped just short of crushing the car and the truck.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I have a friend that lives in Virginia.

The weight of the weekend snow collapsed both their car ports

There were cars under them and they will have to wait for the snow to melt before they can figure out how to get them out.  The only good thing is that the collapse stopped just short of crushing the car and the truck.

@CelticCrafter  That's awful for your friends.  I'm glad no one was hurt and that the car and truck weren't crushed.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau