Honored Contributor

I have a row of leland cypress trees behind the fence in my back yard.  Yesterday it snowed, and I looked outside and one of them had fallen over.  Some branches are over the fence, but it doesn't seem like the fence is damaged.  This is so frustrating.  It didn't even snow that much.  I'm so surprised this happened.  I'm sure it will cost a fortune to have it removed.  They'll have to cut it up first.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

That's a shame.  At least the fence wasn't damaged.  I read that roots of Leyland cypress are shallow, so the trees topple easily.  Have you had much rain in recent weeks?  If the ground was saturated, it probably wouldn't take much wind and snow to bring the tree down.

Respected Contributor

If the trunk isn't broken it could bounce back up.  That happened to my flowering plum tree some years ago.  

Honored Contributor

The fallen tree may have had something else wrong with it.

When someone comes to clean it up, ask them to check the other trees.

I live in an area with mature trees, they can be a lot of work & expense.

Respected Contributor

As someone else said they are relatively shallow rooted.  Depending on how big it is, it can be uprighted  See www.walterreeves.com

Honored Contributor

We have had some rain lately.  I didn't know that about leland cypress roots being shallow.  I might have the rest of them removed, too, so that I don't have this problem again.  I would hate for my fence to be damaged.  These trees are pretty old.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

We have had tree problems on our property also.

We had all ours removed. We are not dealing with it anymore from the wind we have around here plus ice storms.

1 of the trees split during an ice storm with half of it falling between or house & the neighbors next door. We were lucky it did not fall in our roof.

Our neighbors have trees too large for their property & too close to their house. 2 of their trees died this summer. LOL!!! I turned him in so he would have to remove them. 

The only way the City will make you do anything about your trees is if they are dead. They make you remove them or they do it & charge you for it. 

I'm so glad they died & are now gone. Don't have to worry about them falling in our roof this winter if we have an ice storm. We should not have to keep paying to cut back his trees off our roof.

I thought it was funny & served this guy right since he did not do the right thing IMO.

Now we have another neighbor that we thought would do the right thing when their tree died & remove it but they did not.

Weekend of Thanksgiving we had high winds & part of their dead tree came down. The 2 women that live there were trying to get rid of it but it's not a job they can do so they just left it.

If they don't have it removed come Spring I'm going to turn them in. If it falls this winter & takes down our new fence I'm going to be ticked off to say the least.

If any of their tree ends up on our property I will take a saw to it & throw it back on their property. We are not getting rid of anymore tree debris from the neighbors they are getting it back. It's their problem not ours. We removed all our trees so we would not have to deal with it. Just because it falls in my yard does not make it mine.

Why can't people with trees on their property just do the right thing & take care of them. Your neighbors should not have to pay to remove limbs from your trees just because they are hanging on my property. That's BS. Enough said.

Honored Contributor

All types of pine trees have shallow roots,we see many that have fallen around here.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

The fallen tree may have had something else wrong with it.

When someone comes to clean it up, ask them to check the other trees.

I live in an area with mature trees, they can be a lot of work & expense.

I agree with this. Have someone else come out and check the other trees to see if they're healthy or at risk. It may help you prevent more trouble in the future.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack......promise you won't laugh at me.....When I saw the subject of this thread, I started to laugh.  What came to my mind was the Liberty, Liberty commercial on TV where the guy is standing on the bridge in front of the Statute of Liberty....and he is saying a tree fell on his car and his car was totaled.  I think he is really comical with his body language.....   Just had to tell you this.

By the way sorry you lost a tree.  .....