Respected Contributor

Re: Travel concierge-question

@pegsue   Are those people the ONLY travel agents in the area?

Of course not, like anything you "shop for", you need to do all your homework and then go to an agency and talk to them, don't book anything, just gather informatiion.

Are you a member of AAA?  They offer packages too.

You need to put in some work unless you just want people to do everything for you and then, just pay for it. 

There was a comment made that if you had a problem you just needed to call the agent who arranged your trip, that's fine if 1) they are not on vacation themselves 2) not taken a day off 3) problem happens when they are actually in the office.   So you would think that somebody else is "covering" for them, yes, it looks good that they are but they do not seriously put any time in to help you, it just doesn't benefit them.  Sad but true and I have first hand knowledge of that happening.

Oh, and if you do your homework ahead of time before approaching an agent, don't tell them you did anything, that's the fun of it, see what they can offer vs what can you get on your own.

Respected Contributor

I would book it yourself. If you are an AAA member you get a discount! She will sell you a package for more than you want to spend most likely and she will throw in free things that you won't have time to do or care to do. Plan what you know you want and will do when you are there. Have fun!!

Respected Contributor

Harry Potter is at Universal .. Disney World has the new Avatar exhibit ....

Trusted Contributor

We used an agent at Disney Destinations. I don't know how we would have done it on our own, especially since we are in another state. She created an outstanding package for us that included hotel, food, parking, etc.

I'm sure it saved us a bundle because restuarants at Disney World are pricey. They also had to be reserved in advance. There was more planning for our Disney World trip than for our Europe trip. So you may want to give your neighbor a chance to quote a package for you.

You can also subscribe to the Mousesavers newsletter and see if there are any deals you can use.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure I'd get involved with her planning a vacation.  It's giving her the opportunity to start about the other things she's involved with.

Respected Contributor

Harry Potter is Universal, not Disney.  Are you wanting to go to Universal, Disney or both?  You can do both.  I highly recommend going to a website called Disboards.com, it's all things Disney. SO much information.  There are also threads about Universal.  All to help you plan and figure things out.  I'm not sure when you say "concierge."  They are certainly concierge level accomodations at both Disney and Universal.  But are you thinking more of a travel agent?  I usually do all my planning and booking myself, but I have heard that sometimes a travel agent, especially those designated as a travel agent specific to Disney can get some extra perks.  The website for Universal in Orlando always seem to have some type of promotion going on.  I had booked something in 2016 but ended up canceling because we were moving.  I'd start just by doing some research on line, so what you find.  Definitely use that website and others like the WDW website.  If you think it's just too much for you, you can always go to a travel agent (make sure you find a good one).  I've never been to Universal but I'm a big Disney fan.  I'm a Disney Vacation Club Member and got married at WDW too.  I can certainly help you with any questions if you should have them. 

Honored Contributor

I belong to AAA but I have always been able to find a better deal on my own then going through them as well.  Most recently, DH and I needed to rent a car in Florida to drive from Tampa to Ft. Myers to catch our flight.

AAA only works with Hertz.  Hertz was more expensive then any other car rental agency.  But even if we wanted to go through Hertz, there were better deals to be found on-line then the price AAA gave me.     

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pegsue  -  We go to Disney World quite frequently and I've always booked my own trips through the Disney website.  Look on their homepage, as they will post the current discounts.

Regular Contributor

Thank you all for the information-I found it very helpful and informative. DH and I are definitely going to do  more research as we have some time before we would/could go and then after we price things out for ourselves then  we will decide if we think it is worth asking this "concierge" (that's what she calls herself) or seek help from a travel agent.