Honored Contributor

Equifax free credit monitoring verification email?

I did sign up for Equifax's credit monitoring yesterday which was my assigned day.  I already have my credit frozen with them years ago (not that it helped) and Transunion and Experian is monitored for free by AAA.  

I was told yesterday after I signed up to wait for an email to activate or authorize the free credit monitoring.  It's been over 24 hours.  No email.  And yes I checked spam.

Don't you just love it?  Smiley Happy

Anyone else sign up and actually get that email?  I am about ready to place a bet that this free credit monitoring doesn't exist.  I never had to activate anything when I had my info breached at BCBS with their free monitoring people.

I just went ahead and did a fraud alert on my credit reports.  Maybe between that and my freezes I am protected anyway all by myself.  

You just can't do the right thing anymore.  You do everything right and you still can't get the right kind of service.      

If someone did get the email, please let me know and I will go back and try and re-enroll.  I am so over this.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Equifax free credit monitoring verification email?

I would be hesitant to sign up with their credit monitoring as a result of this breach.

The reason that I say that is because I think that if you accept their monitoring, you waive your right to participate in any class-action lawsuit against Equifax.

Something to consider.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 I did not receive an email regarding Equifax free credit monitoring, but I am surprised there hasn't been a general announcement to provide this service given the scope of the fraud.  I wasn't aware of the free credit monitoring with AAA.   I have been a long-term member for house and vehicles' insurance as well as a roadside service member.  Thanks for the heads-up, I'll check into this feature.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I would be hesitant to sign up with their credit monitoring as a result of this breach.

The reason that I say that is because I think that if you accept their monitoring, you waive your right to participate in any class-action lawsuit against Equifax.

Something to consider.

@Plaid Pants2  I read through the terms and there is no mention of that.  They did take it out as they said.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Laura14 I did not receive an email regarding Equifax free credit monitoring, but I am surprised there hasn't been a general announcement to provide this service given the scope of the fraud.  I wasn't aware of the free credit monitoring with AAA.   I have been a long-term member for house and vehicles' insurance as well as a roadside service member.  Thanks for the heads-up, I'll check into this feature.

@phoenixbrd  It's in all the of the news reports.  They have a site dedicated to check to see if you are affected and then you go from there if you are.  

AAA has two different services.  The free one monitors experian only and there is another level for all three bureaus for $8.95/month.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got the email- but you needed to click on a link IN THE EMAIL to set it up!

I am so focused to not click on any links in  emails for security reasons- and here they instructed me to do so. I called them to confirm it was an email truly from them - and asked for all sorts of idenifying info in the email. The last thing I need to do in all this potential mess is download a virus from a spammer!

Honored Contributor

I have a vague recollection that they said it might take a couple of days, due to the volume of the requests.

Honored Contributor

After reading what I did here, looking into matters myself and what I heard on the news, I'm not going to sign up for the free monitoring.  Today was the date I was given but I'll pass.  I just don't trust this. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ibby114 wrote:

I got the email- but you needed to click on a link IN THE EMAIL to set it up!

I am so focused not not clicking on any links in  emails for security reasons- and here they instructed me to do so. I called them to confirm it was an email truly from them - and asked for all sorts of idenifying info in the email. The last thing I need to do in all this potential mess is download a virus from a spammer!

@Ibby114  That's what I am missing!  I never got the email.  I'll give it a few days and then try to re-enroll again later this week if I am still overlooked.  Equifax turkeys!

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

After reading what I did here, looking into matters myself and what I heard on the news, I'm not going to sign up for the free monitoring.  Today was the date I was given but I'll pass.  I just don't trust this. 

I'm not signing up for it either. I already have credit monitoring/protection from one of my AMEX cards, and my Discover card will tell me if my SSN shows up somewhere it doesn't belong.

I did freeze my credit reports with Equifax and Innovis. I can't get the websites for Experian and TransUnion to load, but am going to keep trying until I get it to work. It may be a pain if I ever want to apply for new credit again, but it's better than trying to deal with it after my info is (potentially) used. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~