Regular Contributor

I am thinking about planning a trip w/4 adults to Disney and have been online just looking at the different packages, pricing, etc.  My question is this-what benefit is there, if any, of using a travel concierge person instead of me just doing my own arrangements?  Do they get better pricing?  Do they have access to other things? 

The reason I ask is I have been approached several times by a neighbor who is a travel planner for Disney and some of its other companies and she says that her services are of no cost to me once I book and make a downpayment....which doesn't make sense to me.  I am a bit leery because her and her hubby are both into MLM's (Rodan & Fields, Trades of Hope, etc.)-which they have approached me with before and promote all of the time so I have learned to stay away, not make eye contact, etc..LOL.  I would ask her directly but if it is another MLM thing I won't have the patience or the grace to listen to it.

TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Travel concierge-question

@pegsue wrote:

I am thinking about planning a trip w/4 adults to Disney and have been online just looking at the different packages, pricing, etc.  My question is this-what benefit is there, if any, of using a travel concierge person instead of me just doing my own arrangements?  Do they get better pricing?  Do they have access to other things? 

The reason I ask is I have been approached several times by a neighbor who is a travel planner for Disney and some of its other companies and she says that her services are of no cost to me once I book and make a downpayment....which doesn't make sense to me.  I am a bit leery because her and her hubby are both into MLM's (Rodan & Fields, Trades of Hope, etc.)-which they have approached me with before and promote all of the time so I have learned to stay away, not make eye contact, etc..LOL.  I would ask her directly but if it is another MLM thing I won't have the patience or the grace to listen to it.

TIA

Maybe I'm crazy but I don't know why you don't understand that it's no cost to you, she is paid by the resort-- ie Disney.   Get her to explain to you why you should book with her.    Obviously she's a salesman, make her sell you.

Most people I know into MLMs are respectful of me if I tell them I'm not interested.   Different strokes for different folks.

But if you find her annoying, it might be best not to do business with her, no matter what perks she can offer.

Esteemed Contributor

You can always price your own package online & then compare it to her package.Personally,I always find a better deal on line.

Interestingly,I do have a travel agent that I used to use all the time.The last few years I've come up with better deals on my own.

Honored Contributor

I always book everything myself.  But I think one reason to use a travel concierge or travel agent is because if a problem arises, you contact them and they handle everything for your rather than you doing the work.

For instance, if your flight would get canceled, they get you another flight.  If you get to the resort and there is no room for you, you contact them.      

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who specializes in Disney (and surrounding area) bookings.  Another friend wanted to take her Grands to DW.  She found deals better than what the agent was offering.  The agent works on commission from Disney.  She asked the other friend if she'd let her book the vacation, based on what the (other) friend found on her own.

Honored Contributor

You can usually shop around and find great deals, the airlines have travel professionals who can also offer packages

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Is the Concierge associated with Disney?

I belong to the Disney Vacation Club and there is a Concierge Collection of different resorts all over the US and around the world. But you said you wanted to go to Disney. Also, the Disney Hotels have a Concierge in the lobby to help you out or answer questions.

But I am not sure what your neighbor would be able to do for you as Concierge. Maybe someone knows more than I do.

Regular Contributor

Software-I did not understand that she is paid by Disney-I thought that since I was hiring her for her services that I would pay a fee, in some way, shape or form.  So thank you for that info!

Glad the MLM people around you are respectful of your wishes however I cannot say the same and quite literally DH and I counted yesterday and there are 12 people that are either neighbors, friends or frequent acquaintances that w/in the last year are now doing MLMs and really out of that number ONLY 2 have been respectful when I say no thanks....sadly her and her DH have not been one of those. 

Thanks again for the info.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not concerned about airline tickets as we would be driving.  So I wouldn't have to worry about that as far as cancellations, etc. and I guess I could call myself to the room and confirm before we get there.

Edited to add-what I am interested in is the Harry Potter thing. DH, son and his wife love Harry Potter and I was looking at packages that included room, tickets, shuttle, fast passes and a breakfast at one of the Harry Potter restaurants. 

Respected Contributor

@pegsue.  Isn't the Harry Potter thing at Universal Studios rather than Disney?