Respected Contributor

One of my earliest purchases of Dooney was a florentine leather satchel good size but not overwhelming except for the smell. I aired it out but it did no good and recently read a review of a Bristol bag and the reviewer described the smell as pig leather...yes, that was it.  After keeping mine for over 2 years in the dust cover I finally had to sell it...still had an overpowering odor of pig leather.  I had bought the black and so never really experienced scratches that were so noticeable.  The smell has prevented me from buying more Florentine. That bag was $315 and obviously couldn't get that amount when I sold it.  

Respected Contributor

This is kind of weird, but it depends on where you live and the income level.  Coach has become insanely expensive. A lot of girls and young women carry MK bags, but I have been seeing more of them carrying Dooney.   I kid you you not. 

I have spotted QVC versions and nonQVC verisions on younger women. 

That "orange leather" was always the mark of a higher end bag many years ago. It was so high class that makers of cheap knockoff bags copied it. The end result was that people regarded tan leather as cheap.

I think the tan looks beautiul against black, white or bone. It looks great with earthy colors. But I don't think it looks great with all colors. It doesn't look quite right with pastels.  You know which ones, because those are the leftovers.

However, Dooney makes all kinds of bags without the trim. Q just doesn't sell them.

As it has been stated previously, Q schedules airtime for products that sell. That's how it works. That's the business model. They'll keep doing that until there's no QVC or Dooney no longer has a contract. Peter Dooney is pretty old at 75.  if he retires or dies, who knows?

Honored Contributor

I am in Santa Clara Valley in Ca.  I rarely see Dooneys anymore.  I do not care for them myself.  I dont even own one and I am a purse collector.  I do like some of the plain, solid color dooneys.  A friend of mine has one her husband bought her in Hawaii 20 years ago, and it is a great looking bag.  She still wears it, and I covet it each time I see it.  It is solid black leather, and has pewter hardware with this big lock thingie on the front!!!😍  I dont care for printed bags, and that includes LV.  Just my personal taste.  To each their own, and wear what you love!

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess

I purchased all my Dooneys (around 12) from Ilovedooney dot com. 10 nylon -- and 2 leather. Well made, lightweight, and beautiful colors.