Honored Contributor

I made a mental note to cut back 1/2 on what I bake and prepare for next Christmas.  I have to much food left over. Everything is repackaged for the freezer or in the fridge to eat later this week.  I DO NOT throw away food so it will get eaten but as we that gather together get a bit older, we are eating less.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

It is very difficult to break old habits....

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  Good observation....good luck next year, everyone loves those left overs so I'll bet they don't go to waste.

Honored Contributor

Can you freeze some of it?  Baked goods usually freeze beautifully.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I know the feeling ... now that it's just us I've learned we can split a pork chop, hamburger, etc. -- we don't eat like we used to.

And company, I find the same.  I recall my last holiday open house we had 18-20.    After I saw how much "entree" food was left - I changed our Open House to just various appetizers & tray of cookies/brownies.  No leftovers to speak of and more enjoyable...no big prep.

We celebrated Christmas when kids were here and I made a tray of lasagna, raviolis &  gnocchi with meatballs & sausage.  Of course, big antipasto salad, breads --  that was a real treat I hardly make any of these - my son & DIL were asking for leftovers thru their visit then I was happy I had them😊.   

For our circle of friends they eat like us..

Trusted Contributor

We had a lot fewer people today so we did not do a big spread like we have always done before. We had soup, a big salad and lots of pies. Very little left, and I am sure the leftovers will be tomorrow's lunch.

Honored Contributor

We usually have a Thanksgiving-style dinner, because I don't cook anything for Thanksgiving. Before quarantine we traveled and spent the weekend with DH's family. His youngest sister always hosted.

This year my children wanted ham. OK. So I talked to DH, and we adjusted our menu. The thing is - they wanted the sides we usually have. So we did that!! 

We have SO much food left over! The refrigerator is full!  I plan on making bean soup this week.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I did pretty good at the food quanities this year--made just enough for 4 people for dinner and 2 people for leftovers this year----and have a small freezer in a small refer so HAD to be mindful  that. 

Honored Contributor

Even though it is always just the two of us we cut way back.  Last year we had steak, and this year we did a turkey breast in the slow cooker.

Sides were an acorn squash with butter and maple syrup, cranberry sauce (canned whole berry), gravy and canned Le Sueur green beans (which I absolutely love!).  So easy peasey, not a lot of leftovers and a wonderful quiet stress-free day!  

We had fruitcake made earlier and "soaking", and pecan pie made last week and taken out of the freezer. 

No dressing, no big turkey carcass, no big desserts, no salad or orange and cranberry raw relish, no fuss!