Respected Contributor

I have not flown in ages, and have absolutely no desire to, but even back in the day I thought it was incredibly rude for the person in front of me to recline and be 6 or so inches in my face.  Stay in your lane is what I say.

I think the seats should be made so that you cannot recline them.  Just sit in your seat and leave everyone else alone.  As far as the guy punching her seat, and her laying there recording the whole thing, why didn't she just compromise and not be reclined all the way back?  Maybe if she just reclined 1/2 way they could have dealt with it better.

At least she didn't have long hair that she flung over the back of her seat as well.  Yuck.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

Glad she did make a video but she said it was way worse before she thought to record. She even had her phone up high so the stewardess & the man behind her, knew she was recording. The man did not stop. The lady received a paper saying she was an unruly passenger or something like that, she showed it on TMZ. This I think will go to court. I hope we watch and see how this unfolds. Interesting case. Does she have the head injury like she claims? who knows, I am afraid we will get people doing the same thing when people recline. Someone said redesign the planes, that will take tons of money & probably less seats. Let's keep an eye on this case.

Respected Contributor

Harvey Levin is all over this, maybe she should get Harvey as her lawyer. LOL 

Respected Contributor

I think that as long. as airlines continue to cram passengers in like cattle, these incidents will continue.

I wouldn't board a plane these days unless I fly first class.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@RoughDraft  yes this has been a problem with seats and my DH says just pay the money for 1st class we hardly fly but it's not fun flying anymore. We are short people so doesn't bother me. What scares me is all the germs that float around in the plane. My cousin gets sinus problems everytime he flys.

Valued Contributor

Obviously you also do not have neck, back and leg issues- sometimes you just HAVE to recline- We fly the same airline every time- and we pay a LOT of money for what they call "comfort" seats that give you a lousy 4 extra inches fbetween the seat in front of you- (( and I'm only 5'4")    I cannot imagine paying for first class- that's way beyond our means) But the flights to Texas where our grandkids live  are few and far between and that can also accomodate our schedules. As for reclining-- sometimes they don't even work and if they do- it's only a few inches as well -- we have never had anyone's head in our lap (I can't imagine doing that either- how goofy is that?) However- to sit straight up all through the flight is extremely uncomforable so the little that our seats do recline are just enough to not get stiff necks and sore backs. The middle seat is atrocious.they shouldn't even have them. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: To Recline Or Not?

[ Edited ]

Isn't flying awful now?  I am at the stage where, if I can't drive, I rarely go.  Not only is the seating awful but planes are like germ incubators.  Ever go on a vacation only to be sick a day or so after arrival?  Been there, done that.  I read that aisle seats are the worst for germs/bacteria as people walking up and down the aisle handle the headrests for support.  

As to reclining seats, I think they should not be an option on a plane where you are stuffed in like sardines.  If someone fully reclines, it makes the table tray unusable as it is right in your personal space.

Thanks for the rant!   LM

Honored Contributor

Just out of common courtesy for a fellow traveler, I'd put my seat up.  It's so little to ask.  Was it transAtlantic?  don't think so! 

Honored Contributor

I haven't flown for several years, but I do remember that flying was not really a fun experience.  Everyone is so crammed together.  DH and I always went business, never first class.  I would never recline my seat as I think this is unfair due to such a lack of space, but I have had to experience this done by others.  It truly is uncomfortable.  I think airlines should fix the seats so they do not recline.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I never recline my seat, out of respect for the person sitting behind me.

Even in 2002, when I flew to Ireland, and had an overnight flight, as we crossed the Atlantic, I still didn't recline my seat.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.