Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

If we choose to eat out, we know we'll pay.  I think waitresses are some of the hardest workers there are + there's the public they have to put up with.  Some patrons are murder!  So I'd still tip.    

@qualitygal  Agree.  We seldom eat out but we tip regardless of this minimum wage issue, which honestly I knew was in the works but I fell out of line keeping up with the story.

It isn't easy serving the public; no matter the venue.  And it seems as though the customers needing food can be the worst.  Just an observation.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

You mean to tell me you don't think servers deserve minimum wage, and you will punish them by withholding tips because they make minimum wage? How cheap, selfish, and entitled can you be?

This was a great response to cats01 ignorant reply IMO. Thanks @JJsMom !!

It never ceases to amaze me that there are people out there who want others to work for basically slave wages.

So then I assume you tip ALL minimum wage workers??  Retail clerks, cashiers in drug stores, dry cleaners, etc. etc.  I mean since you don't want them working for "slave wages" and all.

Esteemed Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

You mean to tell me you don't think servers deserve minimum wage, and you will punish them by withholding tips because they make minimum wage? How cheap, selfish, and entitled can you be?

It never ceases to amaze me that there are people out there who want others to work for basically slave wages.

But wait! Those same people are also working WITHOUT any fringe benefits of any kind. No vacation, no paid holidays, no healthcare, no retirement, no 401-K, no annuities, nothing! Isn't a 20% tip a small gesture of appreciation for a nice welcome, great service, well plated food and an enjoyable meal?

There's more! Most of those servers share their tips with cooks, dishwashers, bartenders and/or other employees and they ALL pay taxes to the IRS. (Some of you believe their tips are not taxed.) These employees are ethical, honest, hardworking and pay taxes on their income!

Few of us could live on what they do, deal with angry/nasty/drunk people who want something for nothing, work strange hours and/or are away from family frequently. Put yourselves in their place for a moment before assuming anything about their financial status. It doesn't look very rosey to me.  

Please be very kind and tolerant to all people who deal with the public. In many ways it's so rewarding to work with all kinds of people, but one vicious unwarranted attack does hurt even those with years of longevity. Your smile, thanks, and tip helps them and their famiy meet goals. We all have those dreams. Kindness pays.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Valued Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

First, votes can't be "discounted".  Don't like the result?  You gotta go back to the ballot box and vote again.  Second, I WOULD stop tipping.  I'd write on my charge slip "take your tip out of your new, higher salary".

WOW......just WOW!!!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

But wait! Those same people are also working WITHOUT any fringe benefits of any kind. No vacation, no paid holidays, no healthcare, no retirement, no 401-K, no annuities, nothing! Isn't a 20% tip a small gesture of appreciation for a nice welcome, great service, well plated food and an enjoyable meal?

There's more! Most of those servers share their tips with cooks, dishwashers, bartenders and/or other employees and they ALL pay taxes to the IRS. (Some of you believe their tips are not taxed.) These employees are ethical, honest, hardworking and pay taxes on their income!

Few of us could live on what they do, deal with angry/nasty/drunk people who want something for nothing, work strange hours and/or are away from family frequently. Put yourselves in their place for a moment before assuming anything about their financial status. It doesn't look very rosey to me.  

Please be very kind and tolerant to all people who deal with the public. In many ways it's so rewarding to work with all kinds of people, but one vicious unwarranted attack does hurt even those with years of longevity. Your smile, thanks, and tip helps them and their famiy meet goals. We all have those dreams. Kindness pays.  

They may have to share tips yes, but everyone is making minimum wage - at least -  under current law.  The restaurant must make up the difference if tips don't cover it.

And other minimum wage workers probably don't get benefits either.  So I ask again, do you tip everyone who makes minimum wage in order to make sure they have a good life?

This topic has really got me thinking about all this.  When did we decide that only servers in restaurants deserve to be tipped?   And why?

Honored Contributor

When did we decide that only servers in restaurants deserve to be tipped?   And why?

But we don't just tip servers. We tip many other people in other occupations: delivery people, hair and nails, dog walkers/groomers,drivers, movers, contractors, installers...the list goes on.

So I would expand that to ask why these  group of workers but not all AND why in the US but not other countries?  I never questioned it; I just do it because...you do.

Trusted Contributor

This one takes the cake. We had eaten at a very nice restaurant with another couple and the bill was what I call  substantial. They up charged us for a change in potatoes then when I requested ice for my doggie bag, charged us .75 for each small container of ice so as the food would not spoil on the way home.

Super Contributor

I've always heard that tip comes from "to improve service."  

Super Contributor

Please no mean remarks; civil discourse is a great way to explore our feelings regarding subjects. By hearing others thoughts on issues it helps us clarify or change our own.  If I disagree with you or you with me it doesn't mean either of us are mean, inconsiderate, idiots or whatever.  It just means with have different experiences and opinions.

Tipping began as a way to encourage good or great service:  

TIP = To Improve Service

I am a generous tipper and will make sure the server is tipped appropriatly if there are cheapskates in the group.

Somethings to consider:

• Many servers do not claim the full amount of tips on their tax returns.
  • Restaurants tend to lump taxes into the total so you are expected to tip on the tax also.
  • Employee compensation, if paid by the establishment, is transferred to the customer by the business.  Expecting the consumer to pay additional business costs and tips....not sure that is the correct answer.

Respected Contributor

And there is also the practice by servers - which I have seen several times on FB where they have a meltdown if someone either doesn't leave a tip - or not one sufficient to their expectation.  They then "out" the person by name to embarrass them.