Respected Contributor

Another thought re: your travel - call a travel agent (or two) in the area you're going to. They might know what's customary for tips there.

Honored Contributor

I use bellhop and doorman, etc interchangeably. It's just semantics and all are understood and used in my travels. 

Honored Contributor

The valet takes your car, parks it and brings it back around. We usually tip $5 for before and after, but sometimes it isn't handy to tip the driver taking the car.  Sometimes they jump in and drive off before you get the chance.

If the return person is someone we "know" at the hotel, who has worked for years or gives us special service, we'll tip a $10.  Depends on what you can afford at the time.  

I always tip the maid $5 each day because it will be different people.  All of this was four years ago--so might want to up it a little. 

Esteemed Contributor

Etiquette Smetiquette! I tip what I think the service is worth. I grew up where tips were my main source of making money, so I know the drill. Don't care if it's a truck stop or one of 45's hotels. I decide what to tip and if someone or some place doesn't like it? Talk to me about it.

What should you @Duckncover do?  Beats me.

hckynut  đź‡şđź‡¸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

The valet takes your car, parks it and brings it back around. We usually tip $5 for before and after, but sometimes it isn't handy to tip the driver taking the car.  Sometimes they jump in and drive off before you get the chance.

If the return person is someone we "know" at the hotel, who has worked for years or gives us special service, we'll tip a $10.  Depends on what you can afford at the time.  

I always tip the maid $5 each day because it will be different people.  All of this was four years ago--so might want to up it a little. 

I agree. Housekeeping should be tipped everyday since there are often staffing changes throughout a person's stay.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tipping etiquette

[ Edited ]

I tip all hotels the same I think.  I was at the Four Seasons not too long Fo, and they took my luggage and brought it up I tipped maybe 10 bux.  It was a lot of stuff and he totally went through the room showing me things as it was a big suite. Everything is automatic, curtains, bath yikes complicated for me.  Sometimes I tip more sometimes 5 bux.  Many times when I am with my husband he gets a cart and takes it up.  After valet has loaded stuff from car

ETA. I tip housekeeping about 20 @ day or more.  If I stay a few days, housekeeping only comes every other day unless you ask.  So if we stay 3 days they only come once, and then the final clean up.  I tip her at end of stay usually. And that is about 40 bux s.  One hotel we stay in we have been going there for years.  Same valet, and we know housekeeping.  They must like their job because everyone there has been working there forever, so often I know the same valet will be there the next day. And I give him a nice tip envelope

Super Contributor

I think you're supposed to tip housekeeping every day instead of waiting until the end of your stay because different staff may clean from day to day, not always the same folks.đź’—

Respected Contributor

We would tip at least $2 a bag.  But, there have been times when we've had 3-4 bags and would just give a $10.  Since Covid, the hotels we've stayed at wants you to do on line check in and handle your own bags.  Bypassing the front desk and not getting any assitance.

Respected Contributor
I tip the valet a few dollars when the retrieve my car. I typically hand them a tip with the claim ticket. It’s fine to tip a housekeeper daily or at the end of the stay. Sometimes it’s difficult for a housekeeper refreshing a room to know if the tip you left out for them is really a tip or just pocket change you left out. $5-$10 is generally sufficient for a bellman for a weekend stay unless you have a truckload of luggage.
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's bellman, not bell hop and it's customary to tip $5 for each bag they carry for you.  You tip the housekeepers at the end of your stay,  $5 for every night you stayed.  Some hotels include the gratuity for room service but it they don't, the tip is like any restaurant 15 to 20% is added to the bill which you pay at checkout.  If you use the concierge for theatre tickets or dinner reservations or advice on places to see, you tip him or her $10.  You tip servers in the hotel restaurant and bartender, the way you would normally tip.  Tipping for Grubhub or Uber eats is through the app when you order, they dont accept cash.  I tip 15% when I use those apps.  If you use the hotel shuttle, tip the driver $2.00.   

@chrystaltree I always tip housekeeping each morning before leaving my room. Sometimes it it isn't the same person cleaning your room each day so tipping at the end of your stay means the correct isn't getting the tip. If I stay a week and tip on Friday at the end of my stay, it may be the first time that person has cleaned my room all week, yet they would get an entire week's worth of tips.