Esteemed Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@kivah wrote:

Several years ago, whenever I went into Walmart - there was a Jar asking for money for a charity. Sooooo annoying - especially when the checkout person asked if u want to leave a tip. I told her that I know a very rich family where she could get lots of money - their name is Walton.

@kivahIt takes far less energy to simply say "No thank you" than it is to do that to an employee who is just doing her job.

The employee isn't asking for herself nor is she looking for "lots of money".

Honestly I just don't understand the angst over this;  a little understanding how this employee puts up with negativity all day should make one pause and think before speaking.

Yet you shop there giving the Waltons even more $$,

Go figure.

I found it VERY annoying --- and I'm sure the money is NEVER given to the charity. They removed the tip jar right after that --- u have to complain for them to get the message.

You can't possibly know the money doesn't go to charity.  It very likely does.  If you doubt that, then don't contribute to it.  Easy breezy.

Esteemed Contributor

Seems like there are 2 types of jars being discussed:  those designated for a specific charity and those for employee tips.

I don't mind either and have frequently ignored them and have also given, generally with the change.  I've never been intimidated by them and have never seen someone waving a cup in a customer's face.

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten   I find that people resort to personal attacks when they have nothing of substance to offer.

Yes, that's another thing arguers resort to when THEY have nothing to defend their argument with.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mersha I think a few posters have put their own tips jars out.  😂 

Regular Contributor

Definitely unprofessional.  And probably against the guidelines for the profession.  

Honored Contributor

@Melzie wrote:

To cakers:  I never expect people to respond but I added that sentence because there have been times when I, and others, have been bashed for an opinion and not always in a nice way.  I was just hoping to head that off at the pass.    :heart:

@Melzie   Most of us have been there.  It's all good.  I hope you didn't take my post as not nice.  It's just how things roll around here.

But when a poster asks others not to respond in a negative way, you can bet dollars to donuts it is going to stir up those who take it as a challenge.   LOL

I notice some posting on every. single. thread. with an opposing pov.

No matter the topic-there it is. LOL  Then the POV changes on another thread that starts out with the opposite.

In other words, some argue just to argue.

Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Didn't necessarily tip before people started losing their jobs from covid but I do now. Had to get my car smogged and brought a coupon with me to get the $16.95 price only to end up giving him all my change from the $20 I gave him when I saw the tip jar.  He thanked me and I had the feeling he really meant it.  

Valued Contributor
I’m appalled at most of the responses. Tip jars anywhere are optional, not a forced thing and the over reaction is over the top.

These people are front line workers in the middle of a pandemic facing who knows what germs floating around. Even when it’s not the pandemic they’re facing people coming in with cold and flu.

The pharmacist may be paid well but there are numerous pharmacy techs in each pharmacy that make little over minimum wage.

If you don’t want to tip fine but this isn’t the big offense it’s being made out to be.

And the not tipping your hairdresser each visit...just no.
Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

During the years, I have seen those pesky tip jars in multiple locations.  Yesterday, though, gave me pause.

I was picking up a prescription at a pharmacy located in a large grocery store chain.  There on the counter, where you pay, sat a very large jar marked "tips."

Seriously, at the pharmacy now?  Is this a new thing to tip the pharmacist/assistant for putting together your meds and the sale transaction??????

@Mersha 

So why didn't you ask?

Respected Contributor

@hippiechick7897 wrote:
I’m appalled at most of the responses. Tip jars anywhere are optional, not a forced thing and the over reaction is over the top.

These people are front line workers in the middle of a pandemic facing who knows what germs floating around. Even when it’s not the pandemic they’re facing people coming in with cold and flu.

The pharmacist may be paid well but there are numerous pharmacy techs in each pharmacy that make little over minimum wage.

If you don’t want to tip fine but this isn’t the big offense it’s being made out to be.

And the not tipping your hairdresser each visit...just no.

Great post @hippiechick7897 , and I totally agree!  No one is forcing you to tip.