Respected Contributor

My DH is a tipper. His line of work calls for taking care of people who do for you - aka tipping. 
We just had a couch delivered from Costco. The delivery fee was $200. The 2 guys were professional and clean. He tipped them $40 - he calls it their "lunch money"

Honored Contributor

@joann1218 wrote:
I am having a girl’s dresser and chest delivered today. The driver will only be delivering 2 pieces and no extras. Would you tip? If so how much? Thank you

@joann1218   Tip each person $10.

Offer a bottle of cold water, too, if needed.

These delivery persons do not earn millions; whether they receive a portion of any delivery fee is unknown and doesn't matter anyway.

It's still physical work that most of us could not do.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@joann1218 wrote:
I am having a girl’s dresser and chest delivered today. The driver will only be delivering 2 pieces and no extras. Would you tip? If so how much? Thank you

@joann1218 

Those things I decide after the delivery. Same way I tip for any other service that has an income that depends primarily on tip money. 

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Contributor

First of all, I completely agree that tipping has gotten totally out of hand - nothing annoys me more than when paying with a credit card at fast food establishments one has to jump through hoops NOT to include a tip on some of the terminals - there is one place in  particular that I really liked, but when paying the clerk stands over you watching if you leave a tip - my solution - I do not go there anymore.

On the other hand, I also frequent small, family owned take out restaurants where everyone, including the children, pitch in to help. Although it is take-out and no one actually served me, I always make sure to have singles in my bag and give each child $2.00 because not only are they trying to be helpful, there are so darn cute.

My tipping philosophy  is dependent on each single situation. My Mom gets three newspapers delivered everyday and she has trouble bending down to pick them up. One day I noticed a small table by her front door and asked where it came from - on his own, the delivery person set it up and carefully places the papers there each morning so Mom does not have to bend down - you better believe he got an amazing holiday tip and I tip him very generously each month - he went out of his way to make someone's life much easier. Same for car service drivers who go out of their way to make life easier for Mom.

Furniture delivery is hard, back breaking work and unless unionized (which very few are) are not paid that well, even in big metropolitan areas - again, it depends on the circumstance - if they are messy or cause damage, no tip. On the other hand, if they do there job correctly and depending on the number of items, $10 each - if they go above and beyond, $20 each and I always say - lunch is on me.

Each circumstance is different and unique and I tip accordingly - however, when pressured to tip, I never do.

Trusted Contributor

We just bought a new sofa... delivery not till October.  That's for another thread.

However, delivery charge was $125.00, and they do not take away the old couch.  That's for us to figure out.

So, no, I don't feel compelled to tip, but I will offer them a cold drink.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I would tip the delivery guys. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gnomie1 wrote:

First of all, I completely agree that tipping has gotten totally out of hand - nothing annoys me more than when paying with a credit card at fast food establishments one has to jump through hoops NOT to include a tip on some of the terminals - there is one place in  particular that I really liked, but when paying the clerk stands over you watching if you leave a tip - my solution - I do not go there anymore.

On the other hand, I also frequent small, family owned take out restaurants where everyone, including the children, pitch in to help. Although it is take-out and no one actually served me, I always make sure to have singles in my bag and give each child $2.00 because not only are they trying to be helpful, there are so darn cute.

My tipping philosophy  is dependent on each single situation. My Mom gets three newspapers delivered everyday and she has trouble bending down to pick them up. One day I noticed a small table by her front door and asked where it came from - on his own, the delivery person set it up and carefully places the papers there each morning so Mom does not have to bend down - you better believe he got an amazing holiday tip and I tip him very generously each month - he went out of his way to make someone's life much easier. Same for car service drivers who go out of their way to make life easier for Mom.

Furniture delivery is hard, back breaking work and unless unionized (which very few are) are not paid that well, even in big metropolitan areas - again, it depends on the circumstance - if they are messy or cause damage, no tip. On the other hand, if they do there job correctly and depending on the number of items, $10 each - if they go above and beyond, $20 each and I always say - lunch is on me.

Each circumstance is different and unique and I tip accordingly - however, when pressured to tip, I never do.

@gnomie1 

Door-Dash doesn't just deliver food, she also goes shopping for customers, including drug stores, groceries, even the Dollar store (they're the worst tippers!)

Over the holiday last weekend, she had a Walgreens order to deliver and her instructions were to leave package at the main office, who delivers packages their doors.

It was an elderly woman and the package was her prescriptions, but she didn't realize that her main office was closed due to the holidays.

She called Door-Dash back as she was handicapped and had no way to retrieve the package nor had anyone who could help her.

Even though she added a tip to her order originally, she offered additional payment to Door-Dash + another tip, since it was her mistake, if someone could pick it back up and take it to her door.

DD was contacted and gladly retrieved her meds and delivered it to her door, neither Door-Dash nor DD would accept any additional $$.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@gnomie1 wrote:

@gnomie1 

Door-Dash doesn't just deliver food, she also goes shopping for customers, including drug stores, groceries, even the Dollar store (they're the worst tippers!)

Over the holiday last weekend, she had a Walgreens order to deliver and her instructions were to leave package at the main office, who delivers packages their doors.

It was an elderly woman and the package was her prescriptions, but she didn't realize that her main office was closed due to the holidays.

She called Door-Dash back as she was handicapped and had no way to retrieve the package nor had anyone who could help her.

Even though she added a tip to her order originally, she offered additional payment to Door-Dash + another tip, since it was her mistake, if someone could pick it back up and take it to her door.

DD was contacted and gladly retrieved her meds and delivered it to her door, neither Door-Dash nor DD would accept any additional $$.

Your DD is what makes these services work @KingstonsMom .  I rely on some of these services and under no circumstances would I not consider tipping.  These are gig jobs and they don't make a whole boat load of money like some assume.  The service industry is a thankless industry that many rely on but don't consider the need to treat them well enough.  I will always tip.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@Hmmmmm24 wrote:

I wouldn't tip if you paid a delivery fee. Tipping is out of control. 

@Hmmmmm24   There is no way to know if the delivery persons receive any of the fee.    These persons are not making thousands of dollars and living like millionaires.

And just how it "tipping out of control"??  Serious question.

It's on each person to decide if a tip is warranted or not, and how much.

Whenever I see that tipping is "out of control" it leaves me to think that tipping is never done anyway.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

When we had our new livingroom set delivered a couple of months ago, I did tip each of them $25.  Yes, we paid for delivery and set up but the halls and stairs here are narrow.  There were only the two of them and it took some maneuvering.  And I hadn't yet decided how I wanted things arranged and they were so patient with that..Also, the old set was in the dining room waiting for hubby and nephew to get home from work and take it out to the dumpster.  It was 90 degrees that day.   The delivery guys offered to put it on the truck and drive it to the dumpster for me.  Much smaller than the new set so they said it would be no problem for them.  I was grateful.  Well worth the $50  tip and bottles of iced tea I gave them.