Honored Contributor

Re: Tip For Delivery

[ Edited ]

@joann1218 wrote:
I am having a girl’s dresser and chest delivered today. The driver will only be delivering 2 pieces and no extras. Would you tip? If so how much? Thank you

My husband always slips them a $20. He delivered furniture for Abraham & Straus summers when in college.

The bedroom set two guys brought up the stairs and he gave each of them a $20, last year.

Honored Contributor

I always tip delivery guys....they work hard and get paid little. I tip most peopke who do services on my home.

Honored Contributor

I don't tip for deliveries.  These people are not service workers and are well-paid.  Heaven knows you pay enough for the delivery, although it may be built into the price.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Oh yes, we tip for everything today which I think is ridiculous.  It is strictly up to you if you want to tip and make a note you will never see that guy again.  This is the funniest -- a glass jar at the drive up window for tips at Starbucks.  Are you kidding me.  There is no way that I am tipping.  First of all that is your job.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nope. Every item that we have recently had delivered has had the cost, plus tax plus service fee plus delivery fee plus white glove fee. This last fee is an extra fee (quite a bit, by the way) that has the delivery men wearing shower cap things on their feet, gloves and placing down a tarp to protect our floors. It also includes placing the furniture where we want it and taking off and removing all the wrap. If you don't purchase the white glove service, the furniture sits at the door or is brought just inside.

I'm not tipping after paying those fees. Nope. I'll offer an icy cold beverage, however.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

Oh yes, we tip for everything today which I think is ridiculous.  It is strictly up to you if you want to tip and make a note you will never see that guy again.  This is the funniest -- a glass jar at the drive up window for tips at Starbucks.  Are you kidding me.  There is no way that I am tipping.  First of all that is your job.

@Katcat1  From experience having been one of THOSE people you will not tip in my earlier years....

we are not paid well...work very hard...we APPRECIATE the tips that people leave....and we always remember those people and their faces that do tip. We also remember THOSE THAT DO NOT TIP.  Yes,it is our job, but one that is under paid and very hard with long hours....a tip is an act of kindness and appreciation...obviously you are not into that. You can live with that.

Respected Contributor

Yes I tip.  Even at Subway.  If I have a coupon for a free whatever I will tip according to what the cost would have been for the food because they still had to Make it for me.

I will tip delivery.  and/or set up ( provided they haven't left things worse than before they started.) because it's something I cannot do.

If the delivery person(s) refuse to take it I will put the tip down on the table or what not and comment about how things are always blowing away or falling behind the table or cabinet and I never do see it again.  then I go away fro a bit.  The tip is always gone when they leave.  I think sometimes they're told they have to refuse a tip. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden   I hsve worked in Retail and never espected a tip.  I can understand tipping hairsylist but tipping someone for making me a cup of coffee, no.  Remember you took the low paying job and you should not rely on customers tips.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I would not tip. They work hard and so did I for my money. I don't have enough to tip everyone and their brothers.

Esteemed Contributor

If the delivery people work for the company who sold you the goods, they likely receive a hourly or Per Diem salary.  I can't think of any furniture company that keeps delivery staff on "continuous salary" because of the nature of the job.  Doesn't matter though.  The delivery fees you are charged for the purchases go to the company and not the delivery people.  The company, in the case Raymour and Flanigan charged the delivery fee, not the delivery guys.

One thing has nothing to do with the other.  They will get their standard salary (hourly, per diem) + any tips they may receive from customers of good will along the way.

Now, this also depends on who you're tipping and why.  I don't know how you can tip people "after the fact" unless it's Amazon food delivery.   

The only other way to tip people when it's all said and done (after the fact) is if you dine out in a restaurant and you tip according to the service rendered during your meal.  Is that what you mean @hckynutjohn ?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life