Trusted Contributor

I sold mine on Redweek.com-for a loss.  Was happy to get rid of it!  

Honored Contributor

Thank you for your help everyone!

@SeaMaiden  - It was 20 years ago. They set up at our mall and had a "model" unit. Of course they made it seem like Shangri-La! We didn't get a free gift, but we got a "discount" for signing up immediately. The woman who took us through reminded me of my grandmother. So of course we caved.

The company promised units all around the US, which is what sold us. They showed us a map of locations they were developing, which turned out not to be true. The original company was bought out by a second, and then a third. They have a lot of locations now, but it just hasn't worked out at all for us. It does for some. 

@drizzellla - Every time we called a location we were told there was nothing available when we wanted to go. Like most people our vacation time is limited. I just assumed it was because they were booked. I tried to get three weeks in July at two different locations, and there was nothing. And I called 8 months ahead. We found out last fall (when we almost succumbed to upgrading to the next level) that it was because we did not qualify. As our "personal adviser" (or whatever she was) told us at that dinner, we didn't qualify for that level. We were shocked. We had paid off the mortgage and had no idea we would have to upgrade again! Why didn't someone tell us when we tried to make the reservation?

We just want out. You all have given us good advice, and I thank you for that. I don't want my children to have to worry about this in the future. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@beach-mom   can I ask you how you came  to purchase this?  Did you go to one of those get togethers where they offer you a free gift? I heard that they drill you to death and you get to a point where you give in like a zombi  and sign up for the dreaded time share.

I have heard so many horror stories about time shares that I never  fell for it.

This almost happened to us several years ago.  Back when my DH was still working he spent a lot of time one winter in Phoenix.  We decided to make a mini vacation out of his time there and we went to Sedona.  While there someone approached us to come to a time share presentation and we would get a $100.00 Visa card just for stopping in.  We knew that it would be more than just stopping in but we went anyway.

The place was really nice. We were in a very large conference room with what seemed like 50 other couples.  Each couple sat at a table for three and had a salesperson giving them a presentation and hard sell.  My DH who would NEVER fall for this sort of thing was almost ready to give a deposit...that's how good they were!  I could feel us starting to become zombie like! 

I was getting tired after an hour or so and I just looked at DH and signaled to him that I was done.  I told our salesperson thank you I'm ready to go now and would like my gift card.  I stood up and he brought us into another room to give us the gift card.

I do wonder if we would have enjoyed or regretted purchasing if we had gone through with it....they just seem so hard to get rid of when you're done.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm OLD - so I've been aware of the TimeShare TRAP for many years!!!!!! You could travel all over the world and get low-price hotel rooms - and u could travel any day of the year that's convenient for u. To me, this TimeShare gimmick should be illegal. Sorry that u got into a bad situation -- there has to be a way out!!!!

Honored Contributor

I’ve always thought timeshares were a shady business. I’ve never met anyone who didn’t end up regretting it. 

Respected Contributor
I would claim dementia and a attorney would could call the contract null and void. Try salesman was not forthcoming with all the information and he scammed you. This is just what comes to mind. I know it won't help at all. Hoping you find a resolution and attorney who can help 😔 hang in there. Surely there is a way out.
Respected Contributor

I went to one of those spiels at the beach a couple decades ago  - I didn't want to go but friends did.  When we walked out I told my friends - "I tried to tell ya - bc that was an hour of my life I'll never get back".  When they approach me on the beach I politely decline and if they continue the hard push I let them have it.

Respected Contributor

When we married, we had NO money.  Thanks to my husband's Godfather and my father, we had our honeymoon in San Juan.  Back then we did not have a credit card and we had a small daily eating budget.  We saw an advertisement for a free dinner at a luxurious hotel, so signed up for it. 

Neither of us had ever heard of timeshares. (it was 1971)  There was a presentation, then the hardsell.  We made it very clear to our "agent" that it would be years before we'd have any extra money to invest in a timeshare.  That did not matter.  It was his job to sell us something. (after all we were getting a free meal)  I ended up in tears, ran out with my husband following after me.  

We had to walk back to our hotel because we could not afford a taxi.  We never got our free meal.

To this day, whenever I hear or see the word TIMESHARE, I cringe.

Respected Contributor

Why would your children be stuck with the expenses? Are they on the timeshare contract? Children are not responsible for their parents' debt.

Honored Contributor

many years ago when we lived in Hawaii (military move--we were super duper young) we were down in Honolulu just walking seeing the sights, we got roped into that come share dinner on us and drink. then the hard sell came out at the end of the evening. it was time share. We didn't have 2 pennies to rub together,we were dirt poor, i think they knew it, but they tried to sell us into that time share stuff. So glad we walked out when we saw the prices and all the legal nightmare it would be, something just made us bolt. so glad we bolted.

lately on the radio (I listen for several hours a day) I hear about time shares and all the ramifications of what happens when you sign and they will try to help you get out of the time share but no guarntee to get out with this company.

these companies must be wolves in sheep clothing once  you are in, almost a cult takes over and you can't break the chain no matter what. the fact that when  you pass the family inherits this mess and must continue to pay even if they had nothing to do or say if they want it or not.

this is scary to say the least.