Honored Contributor

Re: Time change

[ Edited ]

@Zaimee 

Oh my, sorry Ben!  That was then, this is now Mr. Franklin, times are much different. People actually work at night, 3 shifts, some only 2 shifts. Like more years than I care to remember, I started work at Midnight.

Can't really say I "slept during the day" because the world around me didn't care if I wanted to get some sleep because it wasn't dark outside! My life was assbackwards all of those years. Even sleeping certain hours was not the same.

Hey, got something you need to do during the daylight hours? Great I will sleep later, but! Sometimes when you realized it was later? It was time to pack my lunch/make my thermos of coffee, and head to work. Sleep? What sleep.

I will say @Zaimee my wife has that same, as she calls it that "*>●^~¤/=#♤{}/=" clock.  Think I heard her singing it's praises not too far back. My digital is so old it doesn't have the Auto feature(?) on it.

All my many wall clocks are the old analog ones, he!! I got 4 just in my basement gym/home theater room. Then there are wall analog clocks:  1 in the kitchen/dining room/living room/2 bathrooms/3 bedrooms, and 1 in the garage. None of which are reachable with my now 5'7" height(dang this age shrunk me an inch).

Anyways, I vote for 1 time zone in all 50 states. Any yea's  out there?

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@hckynut  Seems like you having a lot of time on your hands!

Yes,I vote for one uniform time. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Time change

[ Edited ]

I read 2 interesting articles today on this topic.

from Scientific American,  10/29/20

"Governments Worldwide Consider Ditching Daylight Saving Time

A pushback has arisen to seasonal clock changes that affect mood, sleep and general well-being"

(copy and paste:  scientificamerican.com/article/governments-worldwide-consider-ditching-daylight-saving-time/)

from The Conversation10/28/20

"Why sleep experts say it’s time to ditch daylight saving time"

(copy and paste: theconversation.com/why-sleep-experts-say-its-time-to-ditch-daylight-saving-time-146956)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

I just wish they would pick a time and leave it alone. There is no need to change the clocks back and forth anymore.  Changing the clocks either way really messes with our bodies (not just sleep).  It changes eating patterns (not just humans but also pets), causes depression in some people, and takes weeks to adjust to, etc. It's just not a good idea. 

Honored Contributor

Too many children would be in the dark waiting for their school busses.

Valued Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I hate falling back!  I'm ready for bed at 7:30.  LOL

I hate it as well.  It already dark by 6:30 - 6:45 pm here.  Now it will be dark at 5:00 pm.  I hate that.  But at least I'm working from home.  I won't have to try to get my cats to eat an hour early.  Why give up more sunlight in the evenings to get an hour of sleep?  

Valued Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I hate falling back, it gets dark way too early here in the Midwest! I hate that. For some reason, I don't mind going to work in the dark, but hate coming home in the dark!

I agree with this statement 100%.  It's awful driving home in the dark.  It feels like you've lost a chunk of your day. 

Esteemed Contributor

Most of Arizona( I believe NA reservations do adjust their time seasonally) stays on Mountain Standard Time year round.  The problem is that the adjoining states of CA (Pacific) and NM (Mountain) do change with the seasons.  We have family (and visit) in both so in the summer we share same time with CA and in winter we share same time with NM even though we don't change! This makes it confusing to time phone calls and scheduled meetings and several times over the years we have either inconvenienced family members or they have inconvenienced us!  Everybody should be on the same time schedule; we're not a nation of farmers anymore who need to maximize daylight!

Honored Contributor

@Zaimee wrote:

@hckynut  Seems like you having a lot of time on your hands!

Yes,I vote for one uniform time. 

@Zaimee 

Nope, same 24 hours. I did pick up about 10 hours when they closed the ice rink in March. Skating and travel time for those 3 days I gained. So I figure, why not enjoy more time here on occasion!  He!!, since last March, I am guessing many more people are having "a lot of time on their hands".

I guess we agree on both your statements. I have the aforementioned from not driving 40 miles to skate 3 times a week. And we agree on keeping I clock time year around.

Hey, thanks for pointing this out to me. Sometimes i can't see the forest through the trees.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio DST does not give us more daylight. The days are longer in summer and shorter in winter, no matter what the clock says. It's a natural phenomenon. Where I live, this time of year there are 10 hours of daylight. In December, when days are the shortest, there are about 9 hours of daylight. Changing the clock doesn't affect the amount of time it's light outside.