Honored Contributor

Re: Time For Our New Years Superstitions Thread!!

I am going to be one very lonely woman since I did four loads of laundry today and have one more to go.  

No superstitions here, just lots of football:/

Respected Contributor

@MaggieMack

first for me too, maggie!

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

We had pork, sauerkraut and black eyed peas today. 

I burned a bayberry candle from start to finish (a bayberry candle burned to the socket brings health to the home and wealth to the pocket).

We also said "rabbit rabbit" when we got up this morning for good luck. I've said it on the first day of every month since 2nd grade. 

Way too much for me to do in one day!!

Making dinner, burning one candle and saying two words (rabbit rabbit) is way too much for you to do in one day??????

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Also never heard of new years superstitions.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I burned a bayberry candle from start to finish (a bayberry candle burned to the socket brings health to the home and wealth to the pocket).

We also said "rabbit rabbit" when we got up this morning for good luck. I've said it on the first day of every month since 2nd grade. 

That's so funny.  I learned that from my first (serious) boyfriend in college.  Only he taught me to say "rabbit" once.   Do you think if I start saying rabbit three times, I'll have more luck?  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

NEVER had any. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Lots of them:

* Eat collards (dollars) black eyed peas (coins) & pork (because if you could afford it you were pretty well off already) for prosperity

* Set out a full bowl of rice right before midnight to assure a full bowl all year

* At the stroke of midnight open all doors and let out the bad and in the good.

* The first person to enter the house in the new year must be a man (sexist, I know)

*Put a drop of sugar water (we use champagne) on every animals and every child's lips to insure a sweet year.  Adults sip champagne.

We are a superstitious lot. Smiley Happy

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

Never heard of saying "rabbit rabbit", do I need to start doing it?!  From where did that originate?

My 2nd grade teacher taught us to say it. My entire family has been saying it since then. You're supposed to say it first thing on the first of every month and you'll have good luck the rest of the month. Some people say rabbit rabbit rabbit. It's a variant of an old British custom per Google. I know a few years ago I was watching Good Morning America and Robin Roberts said it and I've heard her say it since. I got a kick out of that. 

Yes... I used to say  "rabbit rabbit rabbit" the moment I woke up on the 1st of the month.  I would never remember to say this now ...lol.Smiley Wink

eta ... I also remember mom bought herring (in the jar) to eat on New Years.

Respected Contributor

@croemer wrote:

@Hooty wrote:

In the South we eat black eyed peas for good luck!

Never wash clothes on New Year's Day, you'll be washing someone out of your life!

What??? Rut Roh...I am from the south and am washing clothes today....should I go out in roll in the dirt to counter affect my digression?

LOL, I didn't see this until just now, several hours too late to undo the laundry. We'll see......

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Me too - as long as I can remember! Thanks for explaining the origin of it. I never knew! I just know my grandmother did it, so I did too!

We do the bayberry candle on Christmas Eve. It has to burn into Christmas Day. I burn most of it before we go to late church services at 11, and put it in the sink while we're gone. 

We have to have pork New Year's Day. No poultry because "chicken scratches backward"! I can still hear my grandmother saying that!

I grew up in the South, so blackeyed peas are a given. DH is from the Northeast. He doesn't like them, but will eat one spoonful at dinner. I LOVE them!

We all put money under the front door mat New Year's Eve and bring it in New Year's Day. That way we'll "be bringing money in all year"! 

I cannot put any calendars up until January 1. I don't want "time to go too fast."

No washing clothes on New Year's Day. 

I have no idea where most of these came from. I lost a lot of my family at a young age, so I'm very tied to tradition, even though I'd like to think I'm not superstitious! It helps me remember them.  I hope my children will be too.

One I don't follow that my parents did was the pickled herring at midnight. My mom always put a teeny piece on a saltine, and I would eat it and immediately get something to drink. Smiley LOL