Esteemed Contributor

Re: Time For Our New Years Superstitions Thread!!

@colliegirls wrote:

What were/are your superstitions for the new year?

I have never had any, and at my age?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

never heard of such a thing, not superstitious anyway....lol, black cats are my favorite ;-)

Honored Contributor

I grew up in the deep south and I've never heard of most of these.Smiley  My family never practiced any of them, and I don't think I'm very superstitious (I'll have to give it more thought).  It sounds like, for some, it's more of a list of traditions as opposed to superstitions.   Fun thread, @colliegirls!Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I am going to be one very lonely woman since I did four loads of laundry today and have one more to go.  

No superstitions here, just lots of football:/

You and me both.............since it was Friday, I sorta "forgot" it was a holiday.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

This isn't a New Years tradition....

I remember grandma used to say someone was coming over if we dropped a piece of silverware.

A fork meant a woman was coming over

A knife meant a man was coming over &

A spoon meant a child was coming over.

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

We had pork, sauerkraut and black eyed peas today. 

I burned a bayberry candle from start to finish (a bayberry candle burned to the socket brings health to the home and wealth to the pocket).

We also said "rabbit rabbit" when we got up this morning for good luck. I've said it on the first day of every month since 2nd grade. 

Me too - as long as I can remember! Thanks for explaining the origin of it. I never knew! I just know my grandmother did it, so I did too!

We do the bayberry candle on Christmas Eve. It has to burn into Christmas Day. I burn most of it before we go to late church services at 11, and put it in the sink while we're gone. 

We have to have pork New Year's Day. No poultry because "chicken scratches backward"! I can still hear my grandmother saying that!

I grew up in the South, so blackeyed peas are a given. DH is from the Northeast. He doesn't like them, but will eat one spoonful at dinner. I LOVE them!

We all put money under the front door mat New Year's Eve and bring it in New Year's Day. That way we'll "be bringing money in all year"! 

I cannot put any calendars up until January 1. I don't want "time to go too fast."

No washing clothes on New Year's Day. 

I have no idea where most of these came from. I lost a lot of my family at a young age, so I'm very tied to tradition, even though I'd like to think I'm not superstitious! It helps me remember them.  I hope my children will be too.

One I don't follow that my parents did was the pickled herring at midnight. My mom always put a teeny piece on a saltine, and I would eat it and immediately get something to drink. Smiley LOL

That's what I am talking about, Beach-mom!!  Last year several posters gave the background on how some of these New Years superstitions got started. Now I remember the "no chicken on New Years"!  Both of my parents were from Europe so they had a load of superstitions (used to make us crazy)!!

Honored Contributor

My best friend in high school's mom was obsessed with the eating herring and I can't tolerate fish so she would wrap mine up in a piece of bread and I would swallow it whole like a pill, gagging the entire time. 

Esteemed Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

never heard of such a thing, not superstitious anyway....lol, glad cats are my favorite ;-)

And 5 of our 7 are black.  Superstitions be danged!

hckynut(John)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I have one black cat also. Black nose and lips and green eyes. Beautiful little girl.

Trusted Contributor

I never considered them superstitions, more like traditions.

On New Year's Eve, right before midnight, I place some folded money in an old purse and put it out on the front porch. As the New Year comes in, DH and I are sharing our last/first kiss of the year. Then I go outside and bring my purse back into the house.

That means that, first,  I'll be with the person I love most throughout the year. And, second, I will be bringing money into the house throughout the year. 

DH and I will be married 45 years this year. And every New Year's Eve, we have the kissed the old year away and brought in the New Year with a kiss and a smile. And we have always brought money into our house. Just a couple sweet little traditions.

Pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day. My grandmother served this for New Year's Day dinner, my mother served it when I was a child, and I've served it every year since I've been married.