Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

From what I have heard ticks are much worse this year than most. Been working outside since our big storm on the 10th, sawing big broken branches and such. Take all my clothes off as soon as I come in, and throw them into the wash machine. Then jump into the shower.

I always seem to find a couple in the shower. One night I was scratching my chin, I have a short beard. Thought I felt a scab! Nope, a tick was buried in my chin and had to use my fingernail, to pull that thing off. It took part of my skin with it.

We keep a little tupperwar type jars handy around the house with alcohol in them. Get them off and put 'em in those containers. Kills them pretty quickly. The one on my was fat, so he must have had me for a good meal. I cleaned up the bite with soap and water, then used some packaged alcohol pads to clean it up more. That stuff burns.

We have an Opossum family we feed, and we know they eat ticks. Wish we had less raccoons and a lot more Opossum!  

Our dog is white and I check her every time we go outside. Usually find them if they are on her, but have missed a couple along the way somehow. Luckily they are dead, so we know her tick med is working, if we don't see them.

Still got a couple more days of work cleaning up our yard. It has a long steep about 20° incline, and keeping my footing is not easy. Even moreso if the grass has moisture from the high humidity.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Monketoes wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Not concerned about Lyme disease. That's the deer tick and they are tiny, like the period at the end of this sentence.  This was a common dog tick, so the worry would be for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I suppose I could dig in the trash and find the Dove candy wrapper I wrapped it up in.  

I'm really glad we don't have the paralysis tick they have over in Australia.  I don't know if they have the same effect on humans, but they can kill dogs within hours if not found and removed promptly.  

They are here  I am in Al and BF's dog got it.  She got treatment just in time!

@Monketoes Really?  Oh dear!  Never heard of them before seeing it on one of the vet shows that come from Australia. I'm in AL too.

Honored Contributor

The ticks have been awful the last couple of years where I am because of so much rain and humidity.  I hate them with a passion.

I put my sanitizer gel on them.  I check myself every day and keep an extra eye out on the dog too.  Those little tiny guys are hard to distinguish from all my moles!

Honored Contributor

There was a Lyme vaccine for humans the FDA approved in 1998 but the company took it off the market in 2003.