Honored Contributor

Ugh, just found a tick stuck to my ear.  Now I feel like things are crawling on me.  I wouldn't be that surprised since I do a lot of yard work, but I haven't done any in several days since it has gotten so hot and I have had a few showers since then, including today.  It must've dropped off of the holly onto me today when I had to pass under it to get to my veggies.  It was stuck on too.  Felt like a scab.  Usually I'll find them crawling on me after some time after my shower. 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess    Now your ear will probably itch like crazy for the next 3 months.  Sorry you got nailed. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 I have been bitten by who knows what several times this year, more than usual.  And, it usually seemed to show up in the morning as if I was being bitten sometime overnight. Wasn't mosquito or fire ant.  I'm very familiar with those bites.

Honored Contributor

Are you concerned about Lyme Disease?  

Esteemed Contributor

Such a bad year for ticks. It does give you the creepy crawlies doesn't it. 

Honored Contributor

If I ever find a tick on me, which is rare, I save it by putting it in alcohol. That way if I develop any symptoms from it's bite, I can show the tick to my hcp for identification. The type of tick is important to know b/c that can determine a diagnosis and treatment. Symptoms can be latent, possibly weeks, so be sure to note any changes to your health.

ETA - There are over 25 different species of ticks living in my area.

Esteemed Contributor

I'd go to my Primary care provider  and have a lyme test. These are some diseases  spread by ticks. Had a family member develop Lyme disease & Bell's palsey . At first , he wasn't to concerned  until he developed symptoms. The tick was really small and he thought it was a small mole or skin tag .   He received intensive  care with medications   such as  antivirals and steroids . He had follow up care for 1 yr . The state of Maryland  is recommending " Since tickborne diseases often present with symptoms similar to COVID-19 infection, providers are advised to include tickborne disease testing for all patients presenting with rash, "flu-like" symptoms, including fever, fatigue and lymphadenopathy, or altered mental status. "

Diseases associated with Tick bites include:

• Lyme Disease. ...
  • Anaplasmosis. ...
  • Babesiosis. ...
  • Ehrlichiosis. ...
  • Powassan Virus Disease. ...
  • Borrelia miyamotoi Disease. ...
  • Borrelia mayonii Disease. ...
  • Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF)
Honored Contributor

My golden ,cambridge has anaplasmosis.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Not concerned about Lyme disease. That's the deer tick and they are tiny, like the period at the end of this sentence.  This was a common dog tick, so the worry would be for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I suppose I could dig in the trash and find the Dove candy wrapper I wrapped it up in.  

I'm really glad we don't have the paralysis tick they have over in Australia.  I don't know if they have the same effect on humans, but they can kill dogs within hours if not found and removed promptly.  

Valued Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Not concerned about Lyme disease. That's the deer tick and they are tiny, like the period at the end of this sentence.  This was a common dog tick, so the worry would be for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I suppose I could dig in the trash and find the Dove candy wrapper I wrapped it up in.  

I'm really glad we don't have the paralysis tick they have over in Australia.  I don't know if they have the same effect on humans, but they can kill dogs within hours if not found and removed promptly.  

They are here  I am in Al and BF's dog got it.  She got treatment just in time!