Honored Contributor

A mother and her little boy were getting on a subway train.  There is an opening between the train and the platform about 12 inches or so.  The little boy fell through the opening.  He was later saved.  I am writing this thread to alert everyone with small children getting onto trains in the subway to be aware.  I personally would pick the child up and hold him/her.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1  I totally agree with your post.  Escalators are also scary for very small children.  I think we all take them for granted (especially escalators) because we're so used to them.

This time of year (4th of July) always brings back memories of every year my late husband, myself and my girls always had to go to D.C. to see the fireworks.

If you've never been, you should try to go at least once in your life....it is amazing seeing them in D.C.

Anyway, my point here is, there are thousands and thousands of people and we're all heading to the metrorail.  It's just crazy, the crowd moving so quickly.

Over the years I've seen what I thought were close calls as so many people pushing and pushing to get out of D.C. all at once.

Trusted Contributor

My family is originally from Brooklyn.  When my sister was a toddler, she was riding the subway with my mother.  Sure enough, she stepped off the train and fell right into the gap.  Only reason she didn't slip through to the tracks was because she was a bit on the chubby side and instead got stuck.  My mother said it all happened so fast that she had no time to pull my sister back to avoid it from happening.  So, yes, always be mindful of the gaps between train cars and platforms.  

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Katcat1  I totally agree with your post.  Escalators are also scary for very small children.  I think we all take them for granted (especially escalators) because we're so used to them.

This time of year (4th of July) always brings back memories of every year my late husband, myself and my girls always had to go to D.C. to see the fireworks.

If you've never been, you should try to go at least once in your life....it is amazing seeing them in D.C.

Anyway, my point here is, there are thousands and thousands of people and we're all heading to the metrorail.  It's just crazy, the crowd moving so quickly.

Over the years I've seen what I thought were close calls as so many people pushing and pushing to get out of D.C. all at once.

@Annabellethecat66   I remember as a small child falling on an escalator, probably missed the step, face down, screaming, and people trying to get me up, very bruised for a while.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 @mousiegirl @Jaspersmom @Annabellethecat66 

Thanks for the alert all!

ewww! This just makes me cringe at the terror! 

‘I will pass it along.

Another thought: even if BOTH parents are sitting along side a toddler at a pool or near water, all it takes is one tumble before you may find them in the water. 

I remember just looking at this happening when DD fell into the pool, I was too astounded to even move!

DH had a cool head and quickly grabbed her! Day saved!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1   DD's kindergarten teacher along with her son and DD's schoolmates were at a pool party, along with DD and I, and though her four year old was in the pool with wings, she saw him struggling and didn't want him to ever fear water, so she jumped in with all of her clothes on and removed him.

Respected Contributor

In London the tube has these signs everywhere:

Mind the gap! 

Honored Contributor

We lived next door to a guy who had his own pool business.  I always wanted a pool.  My late husband was ready to have one put in and then he started talking to the neighbor.  That guy talked my late husband out of installing a pool (danger and cleaning and keeping it up to par, etc).  

To this day there are still blue crushed up tile in our drain ditches from where he'd pour the broken up tile where he'd repaired people's pools!

All of my grandchildren learned to swim from the time they were a few months old.  My daughters took swim lessons too.  My middle daughter has a pool (she lives in Florida).  My teenage granddaughters are lifeguards and belong to competitive swim teams.  As for me....well...I can save myself but I'm not a great swimmer.

I would think these days most people teach their children how to swim very early in life.

Back when I was young only rich people had pools, braces, air conditioning and on and on.....Ha!

One day I'll tell you guys the funny story of me and the community pool...(hint:  it involves toilet paper)....

Esteemed Contributor

PRe: This is Scary

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 :  When we lived in CA everyone on our cul de sac had a pool--- except us!  When the builder put in his pool he offered us a great deal (since he was also putting in his pool) but I said "no"(for all the reasons stated above).  My Son, who was 10, made a sad face, I said " make nice to the neighbors and you'll swim".  He became good friends with the boy next door and the boy across the street.  My Son became a really good swimmer.  Instead of a pool, we bought several shares of Pismo Coast Village (which we use a lot and which has tripled in value).  Meanwhile we had no pool maintenance of high insurance.  My neighbor across the street decided to update their pool last year and ended up with a $70,000 botched job (couldn't use it last year and probably this year (plus time, cost, frustration).  Btw, we put up a 30" x 12' pool for when the brand's are here (then we take it down).

Honored Contributor

@patbz  Good post!  I don't think @patbz  and I are busting on those with pools.  I think (well...speaking for myself...which I am doing), I never regretted getting a pool...(after my girls stopped bothering me about it).

I still live in the same house they were raised.  I never even go in the back yard these days.  I have a screened in back porch and I seldom sit out there.  

I like it cool in the summer.  I don't have a thyroid, so sometimes it's hard to regulate my body temperature.

Take care and have a nice holiday.  These days I just enjoy being inside and watching my boob tube (TV).