Honored Contributor

Re: This Makes Me Mad And Sad

[ Edited ]

I don’t understand.

How do they know why she was rejected?

Were there other girls who didn’t get accepted, as well?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I don’t understand.

How do they know why she was rejected?

@sidsmom.  They don't.

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I've never had a high opinion of sorrorities and fraternities.

I think the young lady with Down Syndrome just dodged a bullet, so to speak.

I'm guessing she has more to offer than all those girls put together. Their shallowness is not surprising.

@Love my grandkidsPerfectly said!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

Lots of women/girls are turned down whether they have a disability or not.  I remember in high school I was so shy but encouraged by friends to try out for cheerleading.  It took every ounce of courage I could muster.  I practiced every night.  I was told by some of the judges and teachers that I gave one of the best performances they had seen.  I didn't make it because I wasn't in the "popular group."  I was devastated.  I got over it.  So women and girls are turned down or turned away for lots of reasons.  

Esteemed Contributor

I had no interest in sororities when I was in college as I am not a joiner; even if I was, no money for that since I paid my own way.

@Nancy Drew, I also did not hear from VS and now I know why!  Maybe we should see an attorney!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

In life we're not all A+ students, we all don't make the "team," we all don't get that high paying job we dream of, and we all didn't date the "hottest guy," but we all managed to go on.  I do feel sympathetic if this young gal doesn't quite understand why she's not being included, but it is what it is.  

We all need to be the best "us" we can be and not expect more than that and be "given" what we didn't earn.  Today it seems too many think we should all have what other's have regardless if we worked hard enough for it or not.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The very history and nature of sororities is one of exclusiveness, discrimination as to who is the right "type," and snobbishness. Why would anyone be surprised at being rejected from a social club for all intents and purposes? They aren't governed by the same rules since it's a private living group/club. The only thing that could be done about it would be for universities to not allow them to exist on their land. However, many sorority houses are not on university land. The whole Greek system, at least for women, was an extension of the cotillions which introduced young women of an age to emerge in the echelons of society. As living groups, they were originally designed to keep young ingenues away from the riff raff which would include socio economic status, racial and religious background. and they were very prominent in a certain section of the country. In my opinion, this girl is fortunate she wasn't chosen.

And in the case that someone here would accuse me of sour grapes, I will tell you that I was in a sorority. I hated the pledge experience, but was told being a full member would be much different. I gave it another year, and it was pretty much the same: I found it to be superficial or shallow, hypocritical, and phony. I transferred to another school, never affiliated with my sorority there, and lived with a group of ex Greeks, none of whom ever looked back. To this day, I have never written a rec for any upcoming college freshman to go through rush. There are just too many diverse people to meet and activities to involve oneself with and grow as a human being.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Look at the Clemson Life program. It is wonderful. Downs Syndrome and some other disabilities are admitted to Clemson and have their own program and campus experiences...some are athletics managers or trainers as well. University of Arkansas just announced they are beginning a similar program. I am sorry this young woman was rejected by the sororities....but if she had been allowed to pledge, she probably would not have really been included anyway...I think the program at Clemson should be in most universities....it is a learning experience for everyone involved....and makes for more acceptance and understanding. It's important to remember that people with Downs Syndrome are as individual as everyone else....some have severe disabilities and others are only mildly effected and may need less support. 

Respected Contributor

Why should she be treated differently from the others who didn't get accepted? This young women didn't use Down's as a crutch, she worked hard, got herself into college & she should be allowed to fight her own battles...the sister was wrong to get involved.