Honored Contributor

Re: They Got Him; Student Safe

Legally she is a child and you are describing a pedophile to a T.

Yes, she had a bad homelife and that's how pedophiles operate.

They only chose the vulnerable children.

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I get the feeling this girl went along with this whole idea willingly.  She is 15, not 9. Many young women are married at 15 in many countries. She is not a child, she is a young adult.    Perhaps he treated her better than she was treated at home....you all act like she was tied up and kidnapped or something.

Yes he will do jail time.... probably get 7 years or so,  less for good behavior....but when she turns 18 she will be legally able to be with him if she chooses.  We have only heard of how awful he is taking her away, but, more needs to be shared about the girl and her part in  this.

Honored Contributor

During and/or after the trial, there will be a Lifetime movie & a book deal forthcoming.

I can already smell Lifetime producers sniffing around this case.  First they will repeat the mini series about Mary Kay, followed by this case.

Oh, & lets not forget Dateline, 20/20 & ID Investigates. 

The "victim" is going to need some serious $$$$ to pay for the type of therapy she'll need.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

@software wrote:

Legally she is a child and you are describing a pedophile to a T.

Yes, she had a bad homelife and that's how pedophiles operate.

They only chose the vulnerable children.

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I get the feeling this girl went along with this whole idea willingly.  She is 15, not 9. Many young women are married at 15 in many countries. She is not a child, she is a young adult.    Perhaps he treated her better than she was treated at home....you all act like she was tied up and kidnapped or something.

Yes he will do jail time.... probably get 7 years or so,  less for good behavior....but when she turns 18 she will be legally able to be with him if she chooses.  We have only heard of how awful he is taking her away, but, more needs to be shared about the girl and her part in  this.

He is not a pedophile.  Pedophiles are attracted to young children who have not reproductively matured- i.e. pre-pubescent.

However, he has robbed this young lady of trust in the common decency of adults- something which she may struggle with as she gets older. She will come to realize this married teacher was the epitome of selfish, using her as an excuse to get out of his adult responsibilities and attempting to re-live the days when he was young and virile and at the height of his attractiveness.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the girl may have gone willingly.

Yes, she may have believed that they were in love with each other.

Yes, he may have believed that he was rescuing her, and that he was in love with her, but none of that matters.

The law is the law.

And the law states that at age 15, she is a minor, and as a minor, she cannot legally consent to anything, no matter what she says about how willing she was.

Respected Contributor

Glad she was found alive and he was caught and arrested. She will need some counseling. 

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

Is that the man that took the girl?  It should be mandatory for these pedophiles to take medicine to curb their urges. 

What medication would that be? 

Saltpeter Smiley Tongue

A debunked myth. Saltpeter does not curb carnal urges

I'm glad they found the girl.

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

The severest punishment Cummins may face will likely be on the federal level not under Tennessee law!  While the age of consent applies the application in this case may get a bit muddled because of Tennessee's abduction laws.

It is not going to be an easy case for Tennessee but it can be done.

These are excerpts from http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/28/us/tennessee-teacher-manhunt-state-kidnapping-law/index.html?utm_sourc...

Tennessee's kidnapping law is a little ... well, toothless when it comes to youngsters the age of Elizabeth Thomas

The statute lets children older than 12 decide whether to leave their families, unless their removal or confinement "is accomplished by force, threat or fraud.

To prove that Elizabeth was unlawfully removed, he'd need to demonstrate to a jury that Cummins employed "force, coercion, fraud or something to that effect," the prosecutor said.

"Under current law, it's really going to depend what the testimony of Ms. Thomas is," Cooper said, explaining that if she claims she left on her own volition, the defense will argue Cummins is not guilty of kidnapping.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

He is more than gross and started this mess.  She played him like fine fiddle.  That is my personal feeling, but she could have gotten away from him at any time, but she didn't.  She left her home with clothing, but told her sister that if she wasn't home something was wrong.   

There was a reason she wanted to leave her home and I think this ahole gave her the chance.  He needs to be locked away for more than ten years and she needs a lot of mental help.  Something isn't right with this whole thing.  I think they both are guilty and should be treated as such. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

About a decade ago a local high school teacher had affairs with 2 students very close to 18 years old. They were like boyfriend and girlfriend in the sense that these girls were willing participants. He got 32 years.  

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Yes, the girl may have gone willingly.

Yes, she may have believed that they were in love with each other.

Yes, he may have believed that he was rescuing her, and that he was in love with her, but none of that matters.

The law is the law.

And the law states that at age 15, she is a minor, and as a minor, she cannot legally consent to anything, no matter what she says about how willing she was.

@Plaid Pants2

I totally agree!

Regardless of whether she consented or not, it's against the law and he had to know that.

Just taking advantage of the vulnerable, IMO.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.