Trusted Contributor

@Stray ... Wow! What a story! You are an incredibly brave woman! You must be very proud of yourself because you had the strength in yourself to take this horrible man on...and look what happened!! You won!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!! ♥♥♥♥♥

Esteemed Contributor

@EastCoastGal wrote:

@Stray ... Wow! What a story! You are an incredibly brave woman! You must be very proud of yourself because you had the strength in yourself to take this horrible man on...and look what happened!! You won!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!! ♥♥♥♥♥

@EastCoastGal- it wasn't easy and it took time but every corporation has a policy and it's well publicized.  Since many of these are old claims, maybe, those options weren't available then....however, I really have to credit a decent man with two daughters who advised me, explained the process and supported me through the entire process.  There are decent men who do handle power in the proper way.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Posh Poodle wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

MSNBC reported Lauer raped a woman in his office, locked her in.

She lost consciousness and needed medical help, so he had an assistant take her to see the nurse.

Usually the courts don’t find an apology is enough in an attack like that.

My mother and I were discussing this very incident. We're both RNs, and as RNs we are mandated reporters. So, did the nurse who treated this victim report the assault/rape? It should have been!

@Posh Poodle- I'm sorry not if the victim did not want to report it; your conversations are confidential....nurses in the corporate world can not treat assault victims except for minor cuts or bruises which also may have been explained as a fall or accident.  The nurse could have and may have encouraged her to call the police, launch an internal investigation but I sincerely doubt a nurse would ignore it.  Rape is a crime and handled in a particular way but only if the victim moves forward with charges but many women don't.   If the victim does not collaborate the claims and refuses an exam by a competent physician, no action will be taken by anyone.   Medical records in the corporate world belong to the patients/employees, not the Company and no person outside of the medical personnel see them.  The nurse, may have discussed it with the doctor in charge  but again, if asked, a patient/victim has the right to privacy and her choice not to pursue charges and the nurse must maintain confidentiality UNLESS she witnessed the rape or assault herself.  Bottom line, as a nurse myself for 50 years, I would assume the nurse acted appropriately and sympathetically and acted within her professional capacity.  Medical Departments in the corporate world are not controlled by executives and act quite independently. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Posh Poodle wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

She lost consciousness and needed medical help, so he had an assistant take her to see the nurse.

My mother and I were discussing this very incident. We're both RNs, and as RNs we are mandated reporters. So, did the nurse who treated this victim report the assault/rape? It should have been!

I don’t know the answer, but I can tell you that mandated reporters don’t always report.

i volunteer at a school and I am a mandated reporter as are all employees who work there.  We had to take a course and sign papers stating we know our obligations.

We have had kids who were abused and came  to school with marks on them.  They admit to a parent beating them.  The teachers don’t want to get involved, so they send the kids to the nurse, who has a meeting with the principal and they discuss what to do. Nothing is done.  As you know, there is not supposed to be a meeting to discuss.  A mandated reporter is suppose to report...period. They are not supposed to investigate on their own.

i have reported two cases after nothing was done.  I got dirty looks from the principal when the paperwork’s came back into the school with my name on it, but he has never said anything to me about it, and he better not.

The mandated system isn’t working as it is supposed to.

@Carmie- it does if you report to the correct person....very early in my career I was a public health nurse and covered two Parochial schools.  I suspected a case of abuse and notified the school doctor who confirmed my thoughts.  At that time protective services was called DYFUS and we reported the parents.  I wouldn't waste my time with the Principal.  Action was taken. 

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Hi Dotty,

What button?  I haven't heard all the details.  Thanks.

Cathy

variety newspaper 

@Jackhound MomHe (and others at NBC) had a button under his desk that locked the door to his office.  Which I and some others see as a security measure.  I don't know why others see it as some kind of woman trap.  Jeeeez.  We really need an eyeroll emojie.

@esmerelda- exactly

Esteemed Contributor

@cbrite wrote:

@cbrite wrote:

@MarkeieMark YUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK That button is like a kidnap....ok, need to go do something happy.Smiley Frustrated

There was NO BUTTON "hooked up" in his office, under his desk. It's what they used to install in old buildings. Had to clear that fact up.

@cbrite- the "button" is common place in most corporations....with increased incidence of workplace violence, most executives have them or in Lauer's case a prominent employee.  It's a security measure to keep people out not lock them in. 

Honored Contributor

Re: These Apologies

[ Edited ]

@Stray wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Posh Poodle wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I don’t know the answer, but I can tell you that mandated reporters don’t always report.

i volunteer at a school and I am a mandated reporter as are all employees who work there.  We had to take a course and sign papers stating we know our obligations.

We have had kids who were abused and came  to school with marks on them.  They admit to a parent beating them.  The teachers don’t want to get involved, so they send the kids to the nurse, who has a meeting with the principal and they discuss what to do. Nothing is done.  As you know, there is not supposed to be a meeting to discuss.  A mandated reporter is suppose to report...period. They are not supposed to investigate on their own.

i have reported two cases after nothing was done.  I got dirty looks from the principal when the paperwork’s came back into the school with my name on it, but he has never said anything to me about it, and he better not.

The mandated system isn’t working as it is supposed to.

@Carmie- it does if you report to the correct person....very early in my career I was a public health nurse and covered two Parochial schools.  I suspected a case of abuse and notified the school doctor who confirmed my thoughts.  At that time protective services was called DYFUS and we reported the parents.  I wouldn't waste my time with the Principal.  Action was taken. 

I did not report it to the principal, the teachers and the nurse did.  I reported the abuse to the proper agency in the state of PA Via their 800# for mandated reporters. A few weeks later,  I received a letter from the agency that was sent to the school with my name on the envelope because they did not have my home address.

The letter stated that the abuse was investigated and no action would be taken against the parents.

Here in PA, It is quite common for our Children and Youth service to do nothing.  There have been a few cases in the past couple of years where children were beaten, tortured and even killed by their parents even after the parents were reported for abuse.  

Google Jarrod Tutko, Jr, for an example. This child’s story is devastating.  The states of PA and NJ left this child down. I can give you many examples...the system is not working as it is supposed to.

Respected Contributor

Re: These Apologies

[ Edited ]

@Stray Thanks much for clarifying.

Sorry what you went through. Proud of what you did tho.

-Do Not Copy Pls-