Honored Contributor

Re: There are now 18 known victims.

@Mindy D wrote:

"A condo association's insurance policy typically covers:
  • Exterior of the building and condo.
  • Land the condos are located on.
  • Damage in common areas, such as pools, hallways and lobbies.
  • Liability in case someone is injured on the property or in certain common areas.
  • Shared amenities and equipment, such as elevators and other building systems.

In some cases, condo associations have much more extensive insurance policies, which can include coverage for fixtures and structural components inside your condo as well. Therefore, we recommend confirming what's included in your condo association's policy before purchasing your own coverage."

Horrifically, the building ended up being one big pile of rubble.  So who is to say -- who was where -- during the catastrophe.

They can't assume everyone was tucked in bed, even if everyone was tucked in bed.  

What I'm trying to say is, the building literally became a 'common area' where people perished.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

It was just announced that the Federal government will pay for all the expenses the City and State have incurred as well as all future expenses related to the search and rescue and assistance to victims.

Weren't there some kind of heavy equipment up on the roof of this building months before the collapse.  Maybe they were trying to fix it.  I can't imagine no one wanting to fix it and expecting to continue to live there or even sell it if it was in such bad shape.

The heavy equipment on the roof was fixing an unrelated matter. Two people mentioned the pool deck collapsing into the underground garage before the building collapsed. People said that the underground garage constantly flooded & this might have been a factor contributing to the collapse. Cement is porous & the constant sea water on it, might have rusted the rebar inside. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My heart aches for all who lost their lives; for those who lost a loved one. I can't imagine the pain the First Responder felt who found his daughters' body; that report took my breath away....horrible Smiley Sad

Regarding the repairs, the board, the special assessment, etc.....IF everything was done correctly, there will be notes/minutes. Each condo owner would have a copy, their website will have them posted and the Property Management company will have a copy. This is the #1 reason why I join every board in a community that I own a home (if there is one to join); THEY have the power when it comes to making the final decision. In fact, it's the President and the Treasurer who really make the final decision. If you want to have a real say in how your community is maintained/run, get on the board. It's a thankless, time sucking job you volunteer for and everybody hates you but YOU WILL know everything that is going on and can push to do the right thing (if that is your intent). 

NO ONE wants to spend a penny out of their pocket when it comes to fees. I would shake my head at the ludicrous comments homeowners would make about the cost of things......that they NEVER have had to fix or get a bid to fix. I'm sorry, it doesn't cost $50 to fix a pot hole like it did 25 plus years ago. No, it costs $3000 plus and no it won't last because of how the water pools in that area and the cars running over it consistently. You REALLY want to fix it? We need to regrade, and re-asphalt the road at a tune of $35,000. No? You don't want us to do that because you'll have to pay more out of pocket? Ok then. We'll go the cheap route. What? You don't want that either? Well then, don't complain about the pot hole giving you a flat tire.

THIS is most likely what went on regarding repairs. If you've never sat on a board, then you don't realize that a board just can't repair something....it represents the wants and needs of the other owners. Round and round it goes and often with sad/tragic results.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

My heart aches for all who lost their lives; for those who lost a loved one. I can't imagine the pain the First Responder felt who found his daughters' body; that report took my breath away....horrible Smiley Sad

Regarding the repairs, the board, the special assessment, etc.....IF everything was done correctly, there will be notes/minutes. Each condo owner would have a copy, their website will have them posted and the Property Management company will have a copy. This is the #1 reason why I join every board in a community that I own a home (if there is one to join); THEY have the power when it comes to making the final decision. In fact, it's the President and the Treasurer who really make the final decision. If you want to have a real say in how your community is maintained/run, get on the board. It's a thankless, time sucking job you volunteer for and everybody hates you but YOU WILL know everything that is going on and can push to do the right thing (if that is your intent). 

NO ONE wants to spend a penny out of their pocket when it comes to fees. I would shake my head at the ludicrous comments homeowners would make about the cost of things......that they NEVER have had to fix or get a bid to fix. I'm sorry, it doesn't cost $50 to fix a pot hole like it did 25 plus years ago. No, it costs $3000 plus and no it won't last because of how the water pools in that area and the cars running over it consistently. You REALLY want to fix it? We need to regrade, and re-asphalt the road at a tune of $35,000. No? You don't want us to do that because you'll have to pay more out of pocket? Ok then. We'll go the cheap route. What? You don't want that either? Well then, don't complain about the pot hole giving you a flat tire.

THIS is most likely what went on regarding repairs. If you've never sat on a board, then you don't realize that a board just can't repair something....it represents the wants and needs of the other owners. Round and round it goes and often with sad/tragic results.

@FiddleDeeDee  What you say is true.  Not to mention you also have your Condo Commandos and your NIMBY people.  Living in a condo can be like taking an HOA to the nth power.  Difficult all the way around.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for clarifying @JustJazzmom .  I knew I read something like that.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is so sad.  I did hear that the number they thought were unaccounted for has gone down as these people have been found alive and well and not necessarily at the Condo.  That's good news.  I sincerely hope this means the toll doesn't rise anymore.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
QVC Customer Care