Honored Contributor

Our Library No Longer Has Fines

No more fines.  Does your library have them?  I find this puzzling.

I figure soon they will have no books. . . 

Honored Contributor

Re: Our Library No Longer Has Fines

We got rid of the fines more than a year ago and, IMO, it is a mistake.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mine still has them. I've only been fined once and it rankles, because it was during the phase of the pandemic when the library was closed and everyone was asked to hold onto all books. This actually went on for months. Then, all books were suddenly due back in by a certain date and I dutifully returned them, except one that after many months I'd forgotten about. I thought they'd probably just send a reminder and waive the fine, but nope, they wanted their money. Maybe I should have charged them 'rent' for holding onto their books.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

So people can just check out books and don't have to bother to return them?   

What am I missing?  That doesn't compute in my head.

Esteemed Contributor

Local news reported this tonight.  No fines but if books are more than 45 days overdue they will be considered lost and the borrower will be charged the full price of the book.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

Local news reported this tonight.  No fines but if books are more than 45 days overdue they will be considered lost and the borrower will be charged the full price of the book.

Ah, I see.  That pretty much makes sense, assuming they have a way to get that money.  I haven't been to a library in ages so I assume this means that they have a credit card for borrowers on file.

Honored Contributor

Another big plus for borrowing ebooks.  I get an email warning me that the book is due back in three days and then...whoosh...it's gone.

Esteemed Contributor

One can't get late charges borrowing an E-book. I have three weeks to read it, and the book automatically is returned to the library on the due date. I usually return it as soon as I'm done reading. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

So people can just check out books and don't have to bother to return them?   

What am I missing?  That doesn't compute in my head.

@chickenbutt Well, no fines, no fault, so I guess that's right.  That's what my brain computed as the answer.  We don't want to punish people with low income, she said.  I'm thinking we aren't if they bring books back. . . 

It's a no-fault world we live in.  Except for those of us who foot the library funding I guess. Taxpayers. 

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Marp wrote:

Ah, I see.  That pretty much makes sense, assuming they have a way to get that money.  I haven't been to a library in ages so I assume this means that they have a credit card for borrowers on file.

That would make sense.