Trusted Contributor

Then vs. Now - Your Preference?

What say you?

Should Grannies look like the ones on the left, or the ones on the right?

91300257_2825902514126296_1758274523385298944_n.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Re: Then vs. Now - Your Preference?

[ Edited ]

The one's on the left had to work hard, every day. No one-day shipping for items they needed. They had to plan ahead and do everything the hard way.

The one's on the right have time to work-out hard. No worries if they forgot something at the store. Just order from Amazon and it shows up at the door in a matter of hours. 

I definitely prefer the NOW look.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a grannie, but I vote for the right side. My own grandmothers never looked like the ones on the left, but one of them would never wear pants!  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now, thank yer very much! 

Though there are many places around the world where today's women don't have the conveniences American women enjoy (no matter the age).  Think India, Africa, some Arab countries, and parts of South and Central America.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry to say but to me this is nothing but age shaming.  The ladies on the left don't deserve being made fun of because they were of their time.

And because they were not as vane and youth obsessed as some of today's grandmothers.  There were a lot of good women dressed like that living through hard times that we can't imagine, but raising and loving families through very hard work.

ETA: Looking like the ones on the right takes money, genes, time and attention that a lot of women and grandmothers can't spend on looks.  You don't get that way by accident.  

Respected Contributor

good grief.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I prefer the ones on the left, because when you think of the word "Grandmother," you picture ladies who look like that.

Grandmother means comfort, and the ones on the right are too busy for you.

The ones on the right are too busy exercising to fool with you.

68594823_2349175325132353_1036056814577254400_n.jpg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

All pictured could be loving grandmothers or more than 1 could be uncaring & abusive...deciding based on how they look then & now is ridiculous.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Sorry to say but to me this is nothing but age shaming.  The ladies on the left don't deserve being made fun of because they were of their time.

And because they were not as vane and youth obsessed as some of today's grandmothers.  There were a lot of good women dressed like that living through hard times that we can't imagine, but raising and loving families through very hard work.

ETA: Looking like the ones on the right takes money, genes, time and attention that a lot of women and grandmothers can't spend on looks.  You don't get that way by accident.  

@Sooner 

So well said appreciate it.

Trusted Contributor

@BoopOMatic  The picture on the left just warms my heart. My maternal grandma looked like that as far as dress and shoes. That's all that was available at that time. Some fabrics we have today weren't even invented yet. lol

My grandma worked very hard raising 11 kids. Made her own bread twice a week and homemade pasta/ravioli and her own sauce from her huge garden. Tended her chickens everyday and killed them herself for food. Had a goat that she milked and raised all her kids with that milk. She had several goats over the years. ALL of her children, my aunts and uncles, lived till well over 90+ except one. So maybe grandma was on to something with the natural unpasturized, goats milk. You never know. Ha.

I lived around the block from her. We didn't live rural. Our City, at that time had no restrictions on livestock or animals. It was a different time. Now, you can't have certain animals there. Very strict rules.

My grandma was beautiful in her simplicity. No makeup. Not even lipstick. She had a million dollar smile and glistening eyes. She gave great hugs. She cared more for her family than herself or "things". She was what you expect a grandma to be imo.

The grandmas on the right leave me cold. But times are changing. I'm glad I had the grandma that I had. She was wonderful. Very strong woman.