Respected Contributor

Re: The quarters that represented each state.

It was fun for a while, but eventually I spent them. I also donated the Beanie Baby collection to a thrift shop. Another fun thing while it lasted. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@J Town Girl My granddaughters are in their 20s. When these quarters first came out I was determined to get a full set for each one.

It took a lot of effort and even had friends out of state helping me get them all but I did.

Each girl has a complete set of all the quarters. They think it's a fun keepsake which was the idea. I really had fun collecting them all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@J Town Girl wrote:

Seeing the post asking if anyone planned to purchase any memorabilia from Queen Elizabeth reminded me of something that I had been meaning to ask for some time.

How many of you purchased the quarters that were minted for each state?  Years ago when QVC was selling the book that held each coin I purchased one.  I patiently searched for each state coin so I could fill the book.  Now the book is sitting, along with the coins, in my closet.  I don't think I've looked at it for years.

I often think I should just take the coins out and use them.  I have no idea why I'm saving them.  I don't think they are worth anything more than the value of each quarter.  I think I just got caught up in the fun of collecting them and now I think how silly that was.  

If any of you did collect these quarters, do you still have them or have you just used them along with all you other coins? 

@J Town Girl 

I'm not exactly sure why, but it's different to collect any type of legal currency than to have a collection of .... buttons, for instance.

Years ago, I aggressively collected the "new" Kennedy Half Dollars.  I was sure they'd go up in value.

Last I checked, unless they are in mint condition, they are each worth about 50 cents.  I spent a few, but I just can't let them go, either.  

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I have a book of them too.  Probably not worth much more than face value but an interesting collection nonetheless.

The New Hampshire quarter came out in 2000 and featured a rock formation called The Old Man of the Mountain.  In 2003, the Old Man collapsed.  Smiley Sad

old man of the mountain.jpg

@ValuSkr    Aw, that's a shame.  They showed that rock formation in one episode of North Woods Law.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I did the same thing for my grandsons!  They loved it especially since grandma collected them all.  

Honored Contributor

I had some JFKs, Susan B Anthony, old silver dollars, etc... coins I just kept in a desk drawer.   My mother came to visit, found the coins and took them to the bank to exchange for paper money..."because it's easier to use at the store"...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I collected the quarters from each year many years ago, I even bought the cardboard holder of a map with a slot for each state coin. I saved many of those coins, I went to a coin dealer with them he told they were massed produced, they're worth a quarter, spend them. 

Respected Contributor

I never purchased the book, but did start to collect the quarters. Got tired of always having to look thru my change for them, so never got them all. They are still in a jewelry box, though.

Honored Contributor

My husband collected the quarter sets for the three grandkids, I have no idea what they have done with them.

Respected Contributor

I do save them.  But, I've read they probably won't increase in value in my lifetime.