Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: The different ways that words are pronounced

@sallybusky:
Minot = MyKnot

Another mispronounced Midwestern word: Sioux. Pronounced Soo. You wouldn't believe how many times I have heard Sox or Sux or Si-Ox on the phone. Chuckles abound!
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:
Well, I'm from NJ, need I say more?

This has nothing to do with pronunciation but just this morning I made a comment about people leaving the New off of New Jersey.

Drives me nuts.  

No one leaves it off NY, NH or NM

~~~~~~~~~~

It has always been "Jersey."  I don't know why, but being a "Jersey girl" I kinda like it.  I can't imagine calling myself a "New Jersey girl."

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I thought about 'Wallah' yesterday but figured I better keep it to myself because I've never seen it until here on this board.   It makes me cringe.   Smiley Happy

'Spaded' - yeah, I've heard that one before, too.

Sunny - I hear ya.  I don't mean to disparage anybody's accent.  This was just in fun about how differently some words are pronounced.  I really love some accents.  I grew up in California so I never had an accent but I used to travel a lot and I pick them up quickly. 

I really love all the accents of the NE.  It's amazing how such a relatively small geographical area has so many different ones.  I also like the ones from Canada/Midwest areas with the 'hoos' (house), etc.  Those accents are fascinating.

Esteemed Contributor

I've always said "Jersey." I guess I feel so familiar with it, being I'm from "York."

Okay that does sound ridiculous lol Woman LOL

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

PET PEEVE ALERT - PET PEEVE ALERT

PREsentation - based on the word present,  and should be pronounced presentation

I'm the first one to understand that there are "regional" pronunciations for a lot of words, and that the more a word is used INCORRECTLY, the more likely it will become an alternative pronunciation.

Still doesn't stop me from cringing ....

There are a lot more I could list, but that's #1.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I know that I might be rather persnickity about such things, so I accept that.

But here's the thing - There are some words that when some people say them it makes me cringe and want to shove a pencil through my head.

I was watching a food show yesterday (on either FN or Cooking Channel) and there were 'pecans' happening in the course of whatever was being cooked.

The chefs both must have said 'PEEEEE-cans' fifty times until I almost went insane.    Clearly, in my estimation, it is NOT 'PEE-can'.   It's 'peh-CAHN' (accent on second syllable as illustrated by caps).

Are there any alternate pronunciations that make others just cringe?  Or am I just way too persnickity and I need to stop it?  Smiley Happy

The dictionary lists three different acceptable pronunciations, including the one you prefer.  So I guess you'll just have to continue to cringe.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sallybusky wrote:

I am loving this one, kids!  This is entertaining AND educational.  (I think I'm so smart....then I learn something new:  Thanks, South Dakotans (??) for teaching me "pier" instead of the Frenchman!)  Although I hear numerous mispronunciations regularly, the two that bother me the most have already been mentioned:  nuke-YOU-ler and wah-LAH   We've had presidents say the first one, and shopping hosts use the second one.  (Fingernails on a chalkboard to me!!)

This one is popular in my area:  "We didn't want FiFi to have puppies, so we had her SPADED."

NONONONONONO!!!!!

P.S.  Minot?  

~~~~~~~~~~

That's another one, yep.  It is spelled exactly the way it should be pronounced . . . N U C L E A R.  How they get "nuculer" out of that is beyond me. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

"boo koo" for beaucoup.

"jewlery" for jewelry

garNET for GARnet

Mystyrion, reading your post reminded me of something that I will share.  Several years ago, my husband and I had dinner with Dale Dye a former Marine (? I think) and actor.  It is a long story but he was the keynote speaker at a national convention for Vietnam Veterans that we attended.

There were several people at the table, but the conversation at this point centered about the boot camp he had just finished having for Tom Hanks and other actors that were getting ready to film Saving Private Ryan.  That led to some discussion since Dale Dye also serves as a consultant for military movies, etc. 

Anyway, somehow this came up in the conversation with him laughing about actors for Vietnam war movies wanting to read the word in the script in the proper French pronunciation.  This brought a round of loud laughter from the veterans at the table.  I found out, that our veterans that fought in Vietnam actually coined the term "boo-koo" as a slang term that soon took hold and became a term that many veterans learned from others over in Vietnam. 

At any rate, Dale stated there was no way anyone would be allowed to use the french pronunciation of the word on any movie he starred in or consulted on that involved the Vietnam War.  It had somewhat of a derogatory meaning & is a deliberate mis-pronunciation of the word.  Evidently it really caught on though.  LOL   

Since that time, I have noticed the term is used frequently with that particular pronunciation in Vietnam war movies.  My husband found it interesting I didn't know that.  Really?  How was I supposed to know?  lol    I jab back since one of the other veterans at the table said he adopted the term while over there, but he didn't really know that was not how your were supposed to say it & didn't know about the origination of it in terms of the Vietnam War.  LOL!

Just thought I would pass that along.  It was the first thing I thought of when I read your post.  Funny though, I think many that might say it that way today may not know that is not the proper French pronunciation, but they don't have a clue as to how it was used that way in Vietnam, either.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

MaggieMack wrote:

Minot = MyKnot

Another mispronounced Midwestern word: Sioux. Pronounced Soo. You wouldn't believe how many times I have heard Sox or Sux or Si-Ox on the phone. Chuckles abound,

Wow, that one is surprising (Sioux).

That reminded me of a time when I was in insurance for many years.   We serviced quite a few states so I was licensed in these states.   At one point we acquired Texas in our center.

A lady called in for a quote or something (can't remember exactly what, as it was a long time ago) and I asked where she lived.  She said 'plain ol' Texas'.  I said, 'well, WHERE in Texas?'.  She said 'just plain ol' Texas' (or so I thought).  I was getting a little frustrated and said 'WHERE, where in Texas?'.  She said (this was on the phone, mind you) PLANO, Plano, Texas.   D'oh!  What an idiot I was that day.  I felt so bad because I just thought she was saying that she just lived in plain old Texas.

I learned lots of new things after that.   Not AT ALL to disapage the accent, and I mean that, but one saying that I learned that really did bug me was 'It don't make me no never mind'.  The first time (of many) that I heard that I think my head really did explode.  I can visualize the cartoon thing of a guy's head going around and around and him saying 'whaaaaa?'.   I just said 'um, pardon me?'.  I was asking which coverage he wanted or something like that and I guess it meant 'whichever, I don't care'.   That was the only saying I heard a lot that really gave me pause.

Super Contributor

maggieMack,  ever notice also that news announcers say MondEy, TuesdEy, etc.  dreives me nuts,,,,,,hope I got this to quote your post.

@MaggieMack wrote:
I always notice when national broadcasters pronounce the capital of South Dakota as if it were some French name. Yes, it is spelled Pierre, but should be pronounced Pier, like on the waterfront. You would think they would know better.