Honored Contributor

Re: The different ways that words are pronounced

NoelSeven wrote:

CB ALERT!

Sherbet?  Is what you say, "sherbert"?  Because I can explain that one for you Smiley Happy

Yeah (hanging head).   That's it.    Sitting here now, saying the word over and over, both ways, it still seems like it should sound like 'sherbert'. 

Respected Contributor

Great list SuiGeneris!

I'm surprised it doesn't include

NUCLEAR.

I hear it mispronounced as

new kew lur

maybe more often than the correct way.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Esteemed Contributor

I always notice when national broadcasters pronounce the capital of South Dakota as if it were some French name. Yes, it is spelled Pierre, but should be pronounced Pier, like on the waterfront. You would think they would know better.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

chickenbutt,

This is a good one for a hot day here in Oregon.

Frankly, what really bugs me are those who never bothered to remembered that when encountering a noun in a sentence and when not using the article "the" preceding the noun, if the noun begins with a vowel, the article "an" should be used, not the article "a."

An example of incorrect use of the a/an article would be:  "I ate a apple for lunch today."

An example of correct use of the a/an article would be:  "I'm going shopping for an umbrella."   "A house is on fire."

Boy, oh boy, I hear folks at the highest levels of government and society who cannot get this straight and it's like chalk grating on an old fashione blackboard.  Drives me nuts.

Another is "on accident," instead of the appropriate "by accident."  My daughter picked up "on accident" at school and I did everything I could to change this error.  She's now 37 and continues to say "on accident."  Oh, well.

I so agree with many others regarding the mishandling of words, but realize that in some to many instances it is a reagiona or cultural matter.  The one that really gets me is "axt."  Grew up with it and it still rankles.

Honored Contributor

MaggieMack wrote:
I always notice when national broadcasters pronounce the capital of South Dakota as if it were some French name. Yes, it is spelled Pierre, but should be pronounced Pier, like on the waterfront. You would think they would know better.

Interesting!  I'm not a broadcaster, but I would have thought it was prounced just like the name 'Pierre', since that's the spelling. 

I love learning new stuff!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

SF - I hear you about the use of articles.  I hear improper article use a lot more lately.   Don't even get me started on general improper word usage and poor grammar.    I guess because word use and grammer were so forcefully taught when I was a kid, it gets in my craw big time.  I got back-handed (or is that one word?) more than once for misspeaking as a small child so I learned fast because i didn't like getting hit.  Smiley Wink

Maybe I'm just turning into one of those 'get off my lawn' old men, eh?  ha! (and yikes at the same time)

Honored Contributor

Sui, I think Gary Cole had the lead male part, but there was a kid who now is one of the NCIS NO stars.  I'll look it up for us.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

One thing that bugs me is when people say "he" when they should be saying "him."  Some people seem to think that it should always be he or she instead of him and her, and that is not correct.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Esteemed Contributor

On the long listing below under the Illinois entry they mention the correct way to say the state of Arkansas.  But you have to watch out because just south of Winfield, Kansas is Arkansas City, Kansas.  And yes you guessed it, you won't get directions to there by saying it like the state.

Honored Contributor

YES!  American Gothic!  You're good, Sui Smiley Happy

The kid was/is Lucas Black as seen above, who now looks like this:

"The Abyss" - NCIS: New Orleans S1 E12

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices