Reply
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,309
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The different ways that words are pronounced

[ Edited ]

NickNack1 wrote:

One thing that bugs me is when people say "he" when they should be saying "him."  Some people seem to think that it should always be he or she instead of him and her, and that is not correct.


 

Pronouns!  That's a peeve of mine.   Once I heard 'me and him was best friends'.  Really?  What color IS the sky on your planet if that sounds right?

 

I see a lot of sentences that start with 'Me and my husband' and stuff like that.   The whole starting a sentence with 'me' seems very popular now.

 

Helpful hint:   First of all, start the sentence with the other person first (i.e. 'He and I went to dinner').  Secondly, if you take one of the people out of the sentence does it sound right?

 

If you said 'Me and him went to dinner' it would be 'me went to dinner' or 'him went to dinner'.  Hopefully, neither of those sound right.  

 

If you say 'He and I went to dinner' it would be 'he went to dinner' or 'I went to dinner'.  Much better!  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,807
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: The different ways that words are pronounced

Just the other day, was talking on the phone with somebody who pronounced the word "route" like "rout."  What the ??!!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,953
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The different ways that words are pronounced

shoekitty said:

 

 "I say boof-AA or buff-AAA (long A)"

 

************************

 

I say the last one up there.  Maybe it's regional for us Smiley Happy 

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎04-14-2015

Re: The different ways that words are pronounced

That's the way I've tried to explain it to my friend CB.  She still uses he and she incorrectly.  She doesn't believe I'm right about this.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎04-14-2015

Re: The different ways that words are pronounced


@LyndaGee wrote:

Just the other day, was talking on the phone with somebody who pronounced the word "route" like "rout."  What the ??!!!


 

Route can be pronounced Root or Rout.  I say rout sometimes.  I just looked it up to double check.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,953
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The different ways that words are pronounced

NoelSeven wrote:

CB ALERT!

 

Sherbet?  Is what you say, "sherbert"?  Because I can explain that one for you Smiley Happy


 CB replied!

 

Yeah (hanging head).   That's it.    Sitting here now, saying the word over and over, both ways, it still seems like it should sound like 'sherbert'. 

 

*************************************

 

CB, HANG YOUR HEAD NO LONGER!

 

It's regional, and it's because San Francisco had a place in the Marina called "Herbert's Sherbert."    It was famous!  Herb Caen wrote about it all the time, everyone went there, so consequently, everyone called it "sherbert."

 

It's still considered acceptable to call it "sherbert" in some places, I've even seen it online, but I doubt many people know why.

 

Herb was a friend of my father's, we were there all the time.  My father was not a big fan of ice cream but he loved Herb's "sherbert."  To this day, I do like pineapple sherbet/sherbert because that was my favorite from Herb.

 

Feel better?  Smiley Happy   See, I told you, all things regional Smiley Happy

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,807
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: The different ways that words are pronounced

Yes, I figured it was a regional pronounciation, Nick Nack.  Thank you for the info.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,309
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The different ways that words are pronounced


@NoelSeven wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

CB ALERT!

 

Sherbet?  Is what you say, "sherbert"?  Because I can explain that one for you Smiley Happy


 CB replied!

 

Yeah (hanging head).   That's it.    Sitting here now, saying the word over and over, both ways, it still seems like it should sound like 'sherbert'. 

 

*************************************

 

CB, HANG YOUR HEAD NO LONGER!

 

It's regional, and it's because San Francisco had a place in the Marina called "Herbert's Sherbert."    It was famous!  Herb Caen wrote about it all the time, everyone went there, so consequently, everyone called it "sherbert."

 

It's still considered acceptable to call it "sherbert" in some places, I've even seen it online, but I doubt many people know why.

 

Herb was a friend of my father's, we were there all the time.  My father was not a big fan of ice cream but he loved Herb's "sherbert."  To this day, I do like pineapple sherbet/sherbert because that was my favorite from Herb.

 

Feel better?  Smiley Happy   See, I told you, all things regional Smiley Happy


 

Oh, awesome!  Smiley Happy   I remember Herb Caen very well.  I like sherbet too.  I probably go for raspberry or orange.  

 

Funny, I know the spelling but I always pronounced it 'sherbert'. 

 

For a while Haagen Dazs had a sorbet (yeah, kind of different, I know) that was lemon.  It was THE most amazing, silky, tart, lemony lemon flavor.  I loved it so much.  Consequently, it seems to have gone away - or at least from my Raley's.  It was in their '5 Ingredient' line.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,309
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The different ways that words are pronounced


NickNack1 wrote:

LyndaGee wrote:

Just the other day, was talking on the phone with somebody who pronounced the word "route" like "rout."  What the ??!!!


 

Route can be pronounced Root or Rout.  I say rout sometimes.  I just looked it up to double check.


 

I always pronounced it like 'rout' (rhymes with scout) but then the song about 'Route 66' came to mind, where it's pronounced root (rhymes with boot).   I never thought about that before.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,953
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The different ways that words are pronounced

CB, The Herbs, Caen & my dad's friend, spelled it with an R: sherbert.

 

I was little, but as I remember, Herbert was a tall thin guy.  I guess he didn't eat a lot of his product, LOL.  I think he had ice cream, too, but most people went for the sherbert.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices