Trusted Contributor

Re: The different ways that words are pronounced

[ Edited ]
Wow! Reading that list of words I have said many wrong my entire life!
Honored Contributor

June2 wrote:
Wow! Reading that list of words I have said many wrong my entire life!

I will admit to saying 'sherbet' and 'ticklish' wrong.   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

"Wow! Reading that list of words I have said many wrong my entire life!"

Oh, well, I don't think anyone should worry about it.  Where we live makes a difference, people have different dialects and accents.  Most get the idea of what is being said.

I used to say "warsh," as in, "I did warsh my face, mommy."  Then one of the neighbor kids really got on me, so I tried really hard not to say it again.  It slips out every so often.  I mentioned it here once before and people told me that was a Mid-West thing.  That could be, I was with my grandmother every day growing up and she was from Wisconsin.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Here's another one I say:

"Min" instead of "Men."  I've given up trying to switch that one.

Does anyone know if that's Mid-West also?

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Hi Sui Smiley Happy

I *think* city natives say N'awlinz.  I could be wrong though, as Randy Newman said, lol.

I kind of like that TV show, NCIS New Orleans, and I listen to the young guy that plays the sidekick.  I love that kid.  Does anyone remember him from the show he was in when he was about 10?  "Someone's at the door, someone's at the door."

He's a cutie! But he's actually an Alabama native, so not a New Orleans accent at all.  As for how we say it here, it's Noo-WAW-lins (all smooshed together). Qualifier: If you're a lifelong Uptown resident, you might say Noo-ALL-yuns.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

CB ALERT!

Sherbet?  Is what you say, "sherbert"?  Because I can explain that one for you Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Accessory is the one that makes me cringe.  It's ak-cessory, not assessory.  One of the designers on HGTV mispronounced it all the time.  She finally announced on one of the shows that someone had written in to tell her how to pronounce it.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Honored Contributor

I will admit I say pee can.  In fact, now you have me in the mood for some pee cans.  LOL

I also say ree sees peanut butter cups.  Smiley Happy 

One that drives me probably the battiest is when people say piture instead of picture.  I hear that all the time.    

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Hi Sui Smiley Happy

I *think* city natives say N'awlinz.  I could be wrong though, as Randy Newman said, lol.

I kind of like that TV show, NCIS New Orleans, and I listen to the young guy that plays the sidekick.  I love that kid.  Does anyone remember him from the show he was in when he was about 10?  "Someone's at the door, someone's at the door."

American Gothic?

With Gary Cole?

American Gothic (1995) Poster

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey CB and Noel,

My Dad told me as a child never to say Frisco within the county, hahah. Those were "fightin words".   I thought maybe in the old days Easterners called it Frisco. I never hear the word anymore at all.   Probably am wrong.

The funniest word I heard pronounced is Buffet.  I say boof-AA or buff-AAA (long A)  someone I know pronounces it buff-ETTE.  Same with Fillet. Some say fill_ay, others fill-ette.   I guess if you are in England one would say fill-ette. What say ye on these words?