Valued Contributor

My SIL has a friend who is first-generation American.  Her relatives from Italy had never heard of the "cookie table"  until they visited in the US.

They bought  their wedding cookies from a bakery.  

Respected Contributor

OMG the cookie table is the best part of the wedding!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

shaggygirl wrote:

I married into an Italian family and every family wedding over the years they had the cookie trays baked by the aunts/cousins/whoever and you helped yourself with the bags provided. Oh and the pastel colored candy coated almonds in the pretty little ribbon tied mesh bags on the guests tables, another must do.

Ooh, I love Jordan almonds!  I've seen those at weddings over the years.  Don't they have a tag on the ribbon with the bride and groom's names and the date?   That's what it seems like, anyway.  Been a while since I've been to a wedding.

Trusted Contributor

When my daughter got married her future MIL, who lives in northern NJ, asked her if she was going to have a cookie table, I had never heard of it, but my daughter had  and told her absolutely not, she had been to a wedding that had one and the children did nothing but paw over every cookie she said it was disgusting and it ened up that no one would eat them!

Honored Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

OMG the cookie table is the best part of the wedding!!!!!!

You got that right for sure. These people don't know what they are missing. I feel certain I have NEVER eaten a store bought cookie at a wedding! It would be a mortal sin !

Frequent Contributor

I'm an "old timer".  When people got married the brides family cooked and baked for days making food for the reception.  Receptions were held in rented halls and later some restaurants had rooms for receptions.  I don't remember ever seeing a cookie table but the homemade foods and desserts were delicious.

Honored Contributor

@silver fox wrote:

When my daughter got married her future MIL, who lives in northern NJ, asked her if she was going to have a cookie table, I had never heard of it, but my daughter had  and told her absolutely not, she had been to a wedding that had one and the children did nothing but paw over every cookie she said it was disgusting and it ened up that no one would eat them!

in all my many years I don't think I've ever seen parents allow the children to do that. 

Esteemed Contributor

Usually the first ones to go were the pignoli cookies.......usually a rush to the cookie table by the little old Italian ladies who scoffed them all up before anybody else could get their hands on any. LOL

Respected Contributor

I was disappointed when I went to an out of state wedding and there was no cookie table. I thought everyone did this. LOL

My friend, her sister and mom just made 400 dozen of various cookies for a wedding this past fall. They loved doing this too. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My Mom always made anisette liquor flacored pizelles for weddings. She would make hundreds of them - and her pizelle iron only made 2 at a time. She would work very hard on that task. She baked wedding cakes as well so made all the family and friend's cakes. My cake for my wedding was a rum cake layer and a lemon layer and a chocolate layer, so the guests got to chose which they wanted. My husband's friends and relatives were awed by the food at our wedding, and said so over & over.