Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Year of Our Best Bodies

[ Edited ]

I eat pretty clean and know enough about nutrition to have a healthy diet but no way am I ever getting my best body back.  I ate much worse when I had my best body. 

I'd like to have my best face back too!

Valued Contributor

@MaggieMack

This commercial is one of the best I have seen.

I do not like the fact that they try to impress of women they need to be a small size.  First, a good man does not look at the body size of a woman when he cares for her.  Second, it is wonderful that this puts the message to all people to be the size that feels good to you as long as it is a healthy weight.  

Healthy is what matters not vanity.  A good man will love a woman for her internal beauty and find her beautiful externally regardless of her size.

Thank you for this post. As the father of girls, I am tired of them thinking if they reach a size 6 they are too fat.   Frankly it is the opposite in my opinion.  They need some meat on their bones.

Respected Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@makeup addict, good luck with your new exercise program. You are going to feel so much better! A word of caution about the yoga portion of the P90 program: just do what you can comfortably do. I've not done P90, but several of my yogi friends have and they all say it's the hardest yoga classes they've ever taken. Again, good luck, and look out for the fit-shamers. Woman Wink

There isn't much yoga in P90.   An entire workout is devoted to yoga in P90X, but not P90.

Starting with P90 is smart because the workouts are shorter and designed for beginner and beginner/intermediate.    Have fun!

Esteemed Contributor

@nomless, thank you for the clarification on P90 vs P90X. I think all my friends have done the X version. I haven't done the program so wasn't aware there were two versions.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

Let's say I look pretty dern good in my clothes.

Out of my clothes.......not quite as much.  :-D

Overall, I'd say my "best body" was at age 42.  That was after good diet and lifting weights for about 15 years.

Respected Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I eat pretty clean and know enough about nutrition to have a healthy diet but no way am I ever getting my best body back.  I ate much worse when I had my best body. 

I'd like to have my best face back too!

So true! When I was in college, I was a size 0 and could eat and did eat anything I want. I drank end a liter of Mt. Dew a day and ate pasta and pizza about that much as well.  Now if I drive by Olive Garden, I gain 5 lbs. lol

my job offers a healthy lifestyle thing. I did the survey and My body age is 15 years older than my current age.  I'm going to work very hard to change that.

yep, P90 is designed specifically for people who are new to exercise or trying to get back in the habit of exercising.  I'm doing the walking program first and then I want to do the P90. I think if I tried to do P90 now, I would get discouraged. 

Esteemed Contributor

Last year was a great year for DH. He looks like he did when he was in college and has the resolve to continue in 2016.  I joined the fitness routines, but I haven't committed as much as he has.  He exercises and eats well every day--rarely misses a workout or eats any sweets--while I'm committed about three days each week.  Hopefully, by the end of 2016 I can say I made further strides, but realistically I doubt I'll have my best body.

Esteemed Contributor

Oprah is 61.  I don't think she's talking about turning back the hands of time (that would take a skilled Plastic Surgeon) but getting healthier.

Valued Contributor

Hey Mag!  I give you a lot of credit.  I have been exercising, resistance training, and weight training since I was maybe 12 y/o.  I also danced and played soccer from when I was little until I went away to college.  But when it comes to pilates and yoga, man do I struggle!  I always chalked it up to the fact that I'm fit, but curvy and muscular, and not lean.  I also think it has a lot to do with my balance.  It sure ain't what it used to be.  But whatever the cause, it just does not come naturally to me.  I wish I could conquer it, because I do believe it has a trifecta of benefits for the mind, body, and soul. 

Now... hot yoga?  I'd be deeeeed!  Confused Face

Valued Contributor

I believe in doing what I can to be my healthiest.  I enjoy walking, Zumba, some yoga, etc.  However, my BEST body is ancient history.  Not only is gravity our enemy, but that pesky reality that after a certain age, all of our fat cells want to pick up and leave our butts, legs and arms and redeposit themselves in our midsection!  I'd just be so happy if I could the fat back where it came from!

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."