Honored Contributor

The Summer Solstice Sunday 6/20/21

This year, the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere is Sunday June 20th at 11:32 p.m. ET. Happy first day of summer, the longest day of the year, after which the days will start getting shorter. (Bummer!)

I have always wanted to go to Stonehenge for the summer solstice. @dulwich  have you ever been to Stonehenge (at any time?) It looks pretty amazing ....and it is really, really old.

According to NASA, "solstice" means "sun stands still" in Latin.   At solar noon on the summer solstice,  a person's shadow is the shortest it will be all year.

Respected Contributor

Re: The Summer Solstice Sunday 6/20/21

I visited Stonehenge once. At that time there was cement path around it, they kept you away from getting close. I think Druids may have a special privilege of getting close to the stones maybe at the Solstice. I think they now believe the stones came from Wales.

Respected Contributor

Hallelujah!

Honored Contributor

It's hard to believe we're at the "longest day" already.  Now the days will be getting shorter.

Valued Contributor

@tucsongal I live in Phx and think I understand what you mean.

Honored Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

Hallelujah!

@tucsongal  I don't understand what this comment is directed to.

Me, I feel the exact opposite about the days starting to get shorter after Sunday (as I mentioned in my OP). Or is your comment about it being summer?

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@tucsongal wrote:

Hallelujah!

Me, I feel the exact opposite about the days starting to get shorter after Sunday (as I mentioned in my OP). Or is your comment about it being summer?

———————

Sorry @Pearlee for the cryptic response 😊.  Yes, my feelings are the opposite. The summer solstice is one of my favorite days of the year because it means cooler times are ahead for us(eventually). Enjoy your beautiful summer!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tucsongal wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@tucsongal wrote:

Hallelujah!

———————

Sorry @Pearlee for the cryptic response 😊.  Yes, my feelings are the opposite. The summer solstice is one of my favorite days of the year because it means cooler times are ahead for us(eventually). Enjoy your beautiful summer!

@tucsongal 

As a resident of South Texas I wholeheartedly agree with you.....with daylight savings time, the sun doesnt set until 8:30 PM and it doesnt even get dark until after 9:30 PM....all the while the A/C is going full blast.... I look forward to the shorter and cooler days ahead too....I'm just not a fan of summer at ALL! 🌞🌡🥵

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: The Summer Solstice Sunday 6/20/21ming o

I love the shorter days when my candles on timers start coming on in the early evening. 

Honored Contributor

Re: The Summer Solstice Sunday 6/20/21ming o

@Spurt. @tucsongal. My comment bemoaning that the days will be getting shorter were not about the heat and humidity of summer at all. I love having all the daylight; I'm so much more constructive when I have evening hours of daylight to use. It's so depressing when it gets dark around 5pm; the day just seems so short.

I love having so many hours of sunlight but I could do without the heat and humidity. There's always air conditioning...