Respected Contributor

I really have two: the day I got married and the day son was born.

Marriage has turned out great--we just celebrated 40 years.

Son--not so much.

He's ok but since he married his wife, it's obvious that his parents are not important to him. I've been sick lately and even though he knows about it, he hasn't called or come by once. But I'm still glad he's my son. When he was a little guy, I would have laid down and died for him, I was so much in love. I still would (probably) but I don't think he'd appreciate it. On the other hand, if it weren't for him, I wouldn't have my granddaughter who is the world to me.

Honored Contributor

I hope it's yet to come.

Esteemed Contributor

you need to sit down with your son and have a heart-to-heart talk..........

Honored Contributor

I really can't narrow it down. I'm grateful for this life and the family and friends I've been blessed with. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry to hear about your son's lack of attentiveness. I understand your devotion because I felt the same way about my son when he was growing up. I still do.

My son is married now. I have to say that I always worried about what would happen to our relationship if he married. I guess DH & I are lucky.We're closer to him than ever. DH just went through treatment for prostate cancer & my son has been there every step of the way. He's accompanied us to doctors appointments & visits,calls & texts often.
  Maybe you can try talking to your son.It May help to remind him of the role you always played in his life. Sometimes a little reminder goes a long way.

Esteemed Contributor

There's a saying that goes, "A daughter is a daughter all her life. A son is a son until he takes a wife"

He's married, and has a child. That's his family now, and is his priority. 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Note:  I'm sure this will get poofed, but I speak from the heart.

Best Day #1 - the day I believed in the Lord Jesus Christ as my personal savior.

Best Day #2 - the day I die & go home to be with him for all eternity.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

There's a saying that goes, "A daughter is a daughter all her life. A son is a son until he takes a wife"

Everyone, man or woman, son or daughter, is capable of having more than one priority... I know plenty of sons who have stayed close with their parents... It can be done... It can even be done when the daugher in law isn't a great fit, though it takes more of an effort...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I hope it's yet to come.

I have my doubts, but boy can I relate to that perspective...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Anonymous032819  With all due respect I have to disagree. There is no reason why a son can't remain close to his parents & still be a wonderful husband & father. My DIL is completely on board with them staying close to us. Family is family.There is no need to choose.