Respected Contributor

The news crews and meteorologists are reduced to talking about the size of SNOW DRIFTS to justify their hysteria of the last few days. I have a big SNOW DRIFT along a stone wall at the end of my property, but the cars STILL DON'T EVEN HAVE THEIR TIRES COVERED.

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Ford1224 said:

When I awoke this morning at 6:30 AM and looked out of my window, I was ecstatic . . . we have a little snow, but that's it . . . did not lose power, and certainly not a weather emergency. Then I saw it on TV and realized it is not sparing Long Island nor most of New England, and I felt guilty that they are getting the worst of it and still have the whole day to go. We lucked out, that's all. I don't get the criticism.

I haven't heard from my Jersey shore daughter yet, so I don't know what LBI experienced. But I haven't seen anything on TV that mentions the Jersey shore. I imagine she is at work, or I would have heard from her.

However, my heart goes out to all those millions who are still suffering way up the coast and have more to come.

I am in central NJ and it is still snowing in Toms river and Atlantic city and other towns in the shore area. Nothing 'historic " I can tell you that.{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 ktlynam said:
On 1/27/2015 Pqfan said:

I am so thankful we didn't get the amount of snow they predicted! They made the right decision to over prepare because in years past people have been stuck for hours in cars and trains. Potentially very dangerous situations are avoided by just shutting it down.

I think they should shut down everything for every predicted blizzard. The fact that they were able to plow the roads so well without all of the stranded or parked cars will make a huge difference when people get back on them.

Super Contributor

I think they almost have to err on the side of caution and over estimate . . . never ceases to fail when a hurricane is headed to the beach and the tropical winds are already reaching the shores that you have idiots out there trying to surf . . . and with the current and undertow . . . quite dangerous . . . they do it because of the idiots . . .

Respected Contributor

I don't understand the criticism of some regarding the predictions. Are you disappointed that you weren't slammed as others were? I would much rather have officials over prepare than not be properly prepared.

What's the Scout motto? Be prepared? Be prepared, expect the worst and hope for the best....

If officials hadn't prepared for the worst and it happened, the screaming would be heard all the way to the west coast.

Honored Contributor
On 1/27/2015 kdgn said:

I don't understand the criticism of some regarding the predictions. Are you disappointed that you weren't slammed as others were? I would much rather have officials over prepare than not be properly prepared.

What's the Scout motto? Be prepared? Be prepared, expect the worst and hope for the best....

If officials hadn't prepared for the worst and it happened, the screaming would be heard all the way to the west coast.

Amen!! ITA!

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor
On 1/27/2015 kdgn said:

I don't understand it either. I wish Katrina, and Sandy, and others had turned out to be "over-predicted" storms. I guess there has to be a complaint or scapegoat du jour, and today's is the combo of the meteorologists and the media.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Qwackertoo said:

I think they almost have to err on the side of caution and over estimate . . . never ceases to fail when a hurricane is headed to the beach and the tropical winds are already reaching the shores that you have idiots out there trying to surf . . . and with the current and undertow . . . quite dangerous . . . they do it because of the idiots . . .

I agree, Qwackertoo.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Where was it last year, Atlanta?, that got hit with snow in unexpected levels? Cars were stuck, folks died from exposure, the local officials were raked over the coals for not "knowing" it would be bad.

At the very least I'd be grateful that there were warnings and appropriate precautions were taken. Those who are getting hit hard won't be complaining about all that was done to prepare them.

Respected Contributor

Wow, I'm so relieved to see that NYC survived "the worst snowstorm since 1872" as I heard it put from deblasio. Again, the media has turned a winter snowstorm, imagine that, into the sky is falling scenario and gotten millions in a panic. My dh and I laughed out loud last night when Shepard Smith hosted a one hour special Weather Alert program. Too funny.