Respected Contributor
We got 10 inches by me in NJ and it is still snowing. The media can s **k it. Would they be happy if people were hurt or killed? I am ecstatic that I did not lose power.
Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Justina rae said:

How stupid that anyone would ridicule the weather forecasters or public officials for taking the action they did with this storm. Our system is only as good as it is and Mother Nature can be unpredicatable. It's not an exact science. I for one am grateful that it didn't turn out to be as bad where I live. There are still areas that got hit pretty hard. I am also grateful that in taking the action they did there have been no tragedies with people being stranded in dangerous situations or loss of life. Officials are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. People need to grow up.

ITA.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

I wonder sometimes if weather incidents are blown out of proportion for the news media... I mean all that they talked about on CNN yesterday was STORM 2015. Just find it very funny.

Trusted Contributor

My sister lives just north of Boston and they are SNOWED in and still getting more!! It was no ""snore-easter"" for those in New England as guatmum posted. Everything doesn't revolved around New York City.

Super Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Deb1010again said:

My sister lives just north of Boston and they are SNOWED in and still getting more!! It was no "snore-easter" for those in New England as guatmum posted. Everything doesn't revolved around New York City.

No, everything does not revolve around New York City, however, parts of New York City were hit hard as well.

Honored Contributor

I had on GMA this morning and they were giving kudos to Ginger Z because apparently she predicted that it wasn't going to be as bad in areas as the national weather forecasters were claiming.

Honored Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Marienkaefer2 said:

How stupid that anyone would ridicule the weather forecasters or public officials for taking the action they did with this storm. Our system is only as good as it is and Mother Nature can be unpredicatable. It's not an exact science. I for one am grateful that it didn't turn out to be as bad where I live. There are still areas that got hit pretty hard. I am also grateful that in taking the action they did there have been no tragedies with people being stranded in dangerous situations or loss of life. Officials are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. People need to grow up.

ITA.

I agree, too. I'll post what I wrote on the other thread.

It's always better to be over-prepared for these things rather than under-prepared, in my opinion. I think it's a blessing when the "big storm" turns into a smaller, more manageable one.

Unfortunately, we don't fund our agencies like NOAA very well, yet they certainly are the target of pretty harsh criticism. It seems we want "small government" until we look to the agencies for guidance or assistance, then we want them to be perfect and robust. I have read there's a newer, more accurate computer forecasting model that's being used in Europe and a similar one is being tested in the USA now.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

I don't live in the affected area but for the elderly, the homeless and everybody else Hooray!!! Glad it wasn't as bad as expected!!!

Just like IF I hurricane misses a big target and hits in a less populated area or goes back out to sea . . . or a tornado hits a corn field instead of a big neighborhood. YAY.

I'll take GOOD news any day of the week!!!

Super Contributor
On 1/27/2015 dooBdoo said:
On 1/27/2015 Marienkaefer2 said:

ITA.

I agree, too. I'll post what I wrote on the other thread.

It's always better to be over-prepared for these things rather than under-prepared, in my opinion. I think it's a blessing when the "big storm" turns into a smaller, more manageable one.

Unfortunately, we don't fund our agencies like NOAA very well, yet they certainly are the target of pretty harsh criticism. It seems we want "small government" until we look to the agencies for guidance or assistance, then we want them to be perfect and robust. I have read there's a newer, more accurate computer forecasting model that's being used in Europe and a similar one is being tested in the USA now.

Actually, they had upgraded to the new one, which is why the revised forecast was starting to be used yesterday. CNN meteorologist said billions of dollars had been spent in the upgrade, and that the "US" version had predicted even better than the "European" version (engaging in a bit of "nationalism" by him). Unfortunately, the "wheel was in spin" at that point, so they downplayed the new model somewhat because the governors had already announced the shut-downs.

The good news is that people can start moving again as things are opening up earlier than expected, and the roads are fairly clear in NYC.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Respected Contributor
Still snowing here and everything is closed around me. No, snore-easter here.