Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 dooBdoo said:
On 1/27/2015 Marienkaefer2 said:
On 1/27/2015 Justina rae said:

How stupid that anyone would ridicule the weather forecasters or public officials for taking the action they did with this storm. Our system is only as good as it is and Mother Nature can be unpredicatable. It's not an exact science. I for one am grateful that it didn't turn out to be as bad where I live. There are still areas that got hit pretty hard. I am also grateful that in taking the action they did there have been no tragedies with people being stranded in dangerous situations or loss of life. Officials are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. People need to grow up.

ITA.

I agree, too. I'll post what I wrote on the other thread.

It's always better to be over-prepared for these things rather than under-prepared, in my opinion. I think it's a blessing when the "big storm" turns into a smaller, more manageable one.

Unfortunately, we don't fund our agencies like NOAA very well, yet they certainly are the target of pretty harsh criticism. It seems we want "small government" until we look to the agencies for guidance or assistance, then we want them to be perfect and robust. I have read there's a newer, more accurate computer forecasting model that's being used in Europe and a similar one is being tested in the USA now.

I agree with both of you.

I don't think the residents of LI or parts of MA would call this a Snore-Easter.

I commend the Guv of NY for calling the travel ban. Weather prediction is not an exact science and Mother Nature doesn't follow any rules. The storm turned sparing NYC from the heavy snow that was predicted. Now, people want to complain because precautions were taken. Silly. Imagine the complaints if no precautions were taken and the storm had not turned. Sadly, gov't officials are most often dammd if they do and dammed it they don't

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

Still snowing here in NJ like really coming down hard.

Honored Contributor
On 1/27/2015 ktlynam said:
On 1/27/2015 dooBdoo said:
On 1/27/2015 Marienkaefer2 said:
On 1/27/2015 Justina rae said:

How stupid that anyone would ridicule the weather forecasters or public officials for taking the action they did with this storm. Our system is only as good as it is and Mother Nature can be unpredicatable. It's not an exact science. I for one am grateful that it didn't turn out to be as bad where I live. There are still areas that got hit pretty hard. I am also grateful that in taking the action they did there have been no tragedies with people being stranded in dangerous situations or loss of life. Officials are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. People need to grow up.

ITA.

I agree, too. I'll post what I wrote on the other thread.

It's always better to be over-prepared for these things rather than under-prepared, in my opinion. I think it's a blessing when the "big storm" turns into a smaller, more manageable one.

Unfortunately, we don't fund our agencies like NOAA very well, yet they certainly are the target of pretty harsh criticism. It seems we want "small government" until we look to the agencies for guidance or assistance, then we want them to be perfect and robust. I have read there's a newer, more accurate computer forecasting model that's being used in Europe and a similar one is being tested in the USA now.

Actually, they had upgraded to the new one, which is why the revised forecast was starting to be used yesterday. CNN meteorologist said billions of dollars had been spent in the upgrade, and that the "US" version had predicted even better than the "European" version (engaging in a bit of "nationalism" by him). Unfortunately, the "wheel was in spin" at that point, so they downplayed the new model somewhat because the governors had already announced the shut-downs.

The good news is that people can start moving again as things are opening up earlier than expected, and the roads are fairly clear in NYC.

That's all good news, ktlynam! Thanks!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Ktlynam, the roads may look fairly clear in NYC but they are still treacherous and people are still advised to stay off the roads unless they absolutely have to be somewhere essential.

Honored Contributor

When I awoke this morning at 6:30 AM and looked out of my window, I was ecstatic . . . we have a little snow, but that's it . . . did not lose power, and certainly not a weather emergency. Then I saw it on TV and realized it is not sparing Long Island nor most of New England, and I felt guilty that they are getting the worst of it and still have the whole day to go. We lucked out, that's all. I don't get the criticism.

I haven't heard from my Jersey shore daughter yet, so I don't know what LBI experienced. But I haven't seen anything on TV that mentions the Jersey shore. I imagine she is at work, or I would have heard from her.

However, my heart goes out to all those millions who are still suffering way up the coast and have more to come.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I am so thankful we didn't get the amount of snow they predicted! They made the right decision to over prepare because in years past people have been stuck for hours in cars and trains. Potentially very dangerous situations are avoided by just shutting it down.

Honored Contributor

My husband who studies the weather said this would not play out how the media was hyping it and sure nuff'...it wasn't as bad as predicted.

Boston and Long Island seem to have caught the brunt of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

There use of the word ""historic"" was ridiculous to me. What ever happened to severe or just plain a lot of snow. Of course they the news people and weather forecasters are going to make a mountain out of a molehill. They always do. I take it with a grain of salt. In there case a grain of snow.

Super Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Pqfan said:

I am so thankful we didn't get the amount of snow they predicted! They made the right decision to over prepare because in years past people have been stuck for hours in cars and trains. Potentially very dangerous situations are avoided by just shutting it down.

I think they should shut down everything for every predicted blizzard. The fact that they were able to plow the roads so well without all of the stranded or parked cars will make a huge difference when people get back on them.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Honored Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Matty6 said:

{#emotions_dlg.laugh} There use of the word "historic" was ridiculous to me. What ever happened to severe or just plain a lot of snow. Of course they the news people and weather forecasters are going to make a mountain out of a molehill. They always do. I take it with a grain of salt. In there case a grain of snow.

And this is why people do not believe it when truly bad weather is coming...because the media over-hypes. After a few of the over reactions we no longer believe what we are being told.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**