Honored Contributor

@drizzellla 

The coffin weighed 500 lbs and one of the pallbearers was only 19. After the evening service for just family, they had to move the coffin into its final place beside Prince Phillp making it a 12 hour on duty day for them.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@Dragonflyveb wrote:

I was impressed with the courtesy shown by all those people in The Queue. Everyone got their moment to pay respects in front of the coffin and the people behind them waited patiently for their turn. 

also, the pallbearers did a monumental job. Perfect execution for what must have been an extremely difficult and stressful responsibility. I would imagine they must have practiced in preparation for when the time came. I read that one of the bearers is only 19. Well done.

It was reported that her coffin had built built 30 years ago, so there would be no delay. Lots of planning ahead and it truly showed.

I am glad you mentioned the pallbearers. A coffin made of English Oak and lined with lead must be quite heavy. And they had to move it around quite a bit. 

AND in addition to have the Orb and Crown sitting on top of the casket. I held my breath when they were moving the casket. I was afraid the Orb would roll right off. And at the end of the service at Windsor Castle, the orb was just picked up. It didn't seem to be tethered in any way.

They did a flawless job just like so many of the other people that made the funeral so impressive.

PS - It was so interesting, the BBC once in awhile would talk to the people in the queue. And sometimes they were interviewing a few people. They would ask where they were from. And the people would reply all different towns and cities. The BBC person would question how far apart the towns and cities were. The people would say, Oh we just met while standing in line. And they shared food, sometimes clothing (because it got chilly at night) and stories. 

@drizzellla 

There was a rod attached to the bottom of the orb that fit into a corresponding hole.  It was visible when it was lifted off the coffin and put onto the pillow on the altar.  

Trusted Contributor

The removal of the scepter, orb and the crown atop her coffin signified the end of her remarkable reign, job well done, Queen Elizabeth.  May you rest in eternal peace.

Honored Contributor

The stick got to me a little bit.  Then when they lowered the coffin into the crypt, I thought how final it really is.  

Respected Contributor

This was a once in a lifetime event and we were fortunate to have a front row seat via TV and interest to this piece of history.

Honored Contributor

The Queen became a Queen at a very young age and she dedicated herself to the position along with being personable and friendly.  She was loved by many and held that position for a very long time.  Rest in Peace, our sweet Queen.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

In retrospect, the pomp and pageantry have been impressive but it was time to lay that dear woman to rest... I suppose it was inevitable, but it's no wonder she so loved her time in Scotland... To me, the quiet dignity of the Scots recognition of Her Majesty would have been my choice... I also preferred seeing the young men in their kilts and bunnets to all their elders in what amounted to costume garb parading to and fro... Sometimes, there's something to be said for simplicity over excess... The queen received both, which was only right given her importance, longevity and sacrifice... Only the UK could do pageantry so beautifully... It was all magnificently done... I guess I did, though, have the thought that at times things seemed like pure theater... 

@stevieb 

It was beautifully done, but I also thought it was just theater a few times.  But, I think they had to do it .... it's truly the end of an era and most people know this.  

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Those responsible for security deserve to be honored. I can only imagine the stress they've been enduring, the sleep they're lost. Today, they should feel proud and quite relieved. Well Done

I agree @occasionalrain It is said to be the biggest security operation the UK has ever seen. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

In retrospect, the pomp and pageantry have been impressive but it was time to lay that dear woman to rest... I suppose it was inevitable, but it's no wonder she so loved her time in Scotland... To me, the quiet dignity of the Scots recognition of Her Majesty would have been my choice... I also preferred seeing the young men in their kilts and bunnets to all their elders in what amounted to costume garb parading to and fro... Sometimes, there's something to be said for simplicity over excess... The queen received both, which was only right given her importance, longevity and sacrifice... Only the UK could do pageantry so beautifully... It was all magnificently done... I guess I did, though, have the thought that at times things seemed like pure theater... 

@stevieb 

It was beautifully done, but I also thought it was just theater a few times.  But, I think they had to do it .... it's truly the end of an era and most people know this.  

They did. After 70 years it had to be a major event, but I am glad the more simple and shorter recognition in Scotland took place. It might not have been magnificent, but it was lovely.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

Re: The Queen's Funeral

[ Edited ]

It really was something!  Done so well, so touching.   I pretty much watched the whole thing from beginning to end. 

My mother loved to watch all the weddings and other pagentry of the Royal Family.  If she was still alive she would have been sitting here beside me watching it with me. We wouldn't have been sipping tea but would have enjoyed our coffee together. 

Janet in Georgia