Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@jlkz Lately I've been seeing a lot of Amazon trucks.

So, I guess you guys have read/heard that Amazon is coming to Northern Va....Oh! Yea! Ugh!

We surely don't need the extra traffic here!  I live a little ways out and I guarantee you these people who aren't familiar with the area will be coming out our way to buy houses!

Good luck on that one!  I get companies all of the time sending me letters and calling me wanting to buy my house.

Not going to happen.  But anyone who buys out this way will be in for a surprise.  People don't understand it might not be that far from DC but traffic-wise it might almost be in another state!  Ha!

@Annabellethecat66 

My brother went to college in Georgetown and we visited him so I know what you mean by the MD/VA/DC traffic.....its not fun....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

While visiting friends for Thanksgiving, we drove by a mall and saw an adjoining parking lot literally filled with small van-type trucks with “Amazon and the single smile-line” logo.

Another part of the trip, we drove by an industrial complex with both white and black trucks with the same logo.  We even drove by a line of them getting onto a major highway !

Must be way cheaper for Amazon to by all these truck vans and their drivers than to pay other delivery services !

@jlkz 

Amazon ordered 100,000 electric delivery trucks, doubling the fleet in Europe and North America. Amazon announced (Sept. 19) it was buying 100,000 electric trucks from US electric-vehicle startup Rivian as part of its effort to eliminate the carbon footprint of the company by 2040.

Image result for amazon own fleet of delivery trucks

And they are going to use drones too....That should be interesting....

Image result for amazon using drones

Amazon has said it will also use drones to deliver packages to customers “within months”. It unveiled its latest iteration at a conference in Las Vegas, touting the machine's ability to spot obstacles such as people, dogs, and clotheslines.

And guess who they will pass on the cost of these trucks and drones to......
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Definietly not just QVC. I have dog food on autoship from chewy. I am not anywhere near out, thank goodness. Was sent an email that it would be delivered Saturday, no delivery. 

I've had several amazon deliveries that arrived after the date originally posted. 

I've kind of gotten use to it. I still have more options with online shopping.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt  I've told this before.  My late husband used to like to tell the story that the head of admissions told him that had our daughter gone to James Madison College or George Mason University; or any of the other excellent colleges in Virginia, she wouldn't have been able to get into Georgetown for graduate school.

My husband would laugh and say, "Humph!  If you've got the money you could get in!"  

That's not to minimize what our daughter achieved.  He graduated with a masters from American University.  I think there's a misnomer that a person isn't "all that" unless they've graduated from some well known college.

It's still that way.  Even my daughter (the same daughter) gave the highbrow look between herself and her daughter (who'll soon be going to Va Tech) next year when they were talking about some kid who was going to a smaller, lesser known college.

So, I'll be having lunch with this daughter on Thursday.  We will be alone (without granddaughter).  I fully intend to set her nose straight and tell her to adjust her attitude.

Sometimes mom's have to do that.  She's an amazing, kind person.  An unbelievable daughter and friend, but if I see something I don't like, I mention it.  

What is it with people and the colleges they went to?  I hear it on TV.  I hear it everywhere.  

That's what it's like here anyway.  That's STILL on the things an adult with say to each other when in a group talking.

My youngest daughter lives in Denver.  It's not like that in Denver.  She always says she could never make the kind of money she makes in Denver if she lived in the DC area.

I know she's right.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt  I've told this before.  My late husband used to like to tell the story that the head of admissions told him that had our daughter gone to James Madison College or George Mason University; or any of the other excellent colleges in Virginia, she wouldn't have been able to get into Georgetown for graduate school.

My husband would laugh and say, "Humph!  If you've got the money you could get in!"  

That's not to minimize what our daughter achieved.  He graduated with a masters from American University.  I think there's a misnomer that a person isn't "all that" unless they've graduated from some well known college.

It's still that way.  Even my daughter (the same daughter) gave the highbrow look between herself and her daughter (who'll soon be going to Va Tech) next year when they were talking about some kid who was going to a smaller, lesser known college.

So, I'll be having lunch with this daughter on Thursday.  We will be alone (without granddaughter).  I fully intend to set her nose straight and tell her to adjust her attitude.

Sometimes mom's have to do that.  She's an amazing, kind person.  An unbelievable daughter and friend, but if I see something I don't like, I mention it.  

What is it with people and the colleges they went to?  I hear it on TV.  I hear it everywhere.  

That's what it's like here anyway.  That's STILL on the things an adult with say to each other when in a group talking.

My youngest daughter lives in Denver.  It's not like that in Denver.  She always says she could never make the kind of money she makes in Denver if she lived in the DC area.

I know she's right.

@Annabellethecat66 

My brother had an interesting college journey he went from high school to a college in Illinois where he was offered a scholarship...(but he couldnt make any money in his chosen field)..then he went on to Georgetown for a second degree. .He didnt go there for the prestige, the only reason he chose Georgetown was that it was one of the few colleges that had the program he was looking for and they promised to "take care of him and his family"  (his wife and newborn)...which Georgetown didnt do very well.....Woman Frustrated  He got his degree and feels no allegiance to Georgetown whatsoever.... 

To me college these days means nothing but debt for young people and doesnt seem to help much anymore when trying to start a career and land a good job.....

I know people whose kids did much better learning a skill in the Medical Field or going to a trade school and getting their certifications in IT.......Degrees in Psychology or business dont amount for much...our company is full of young people with these degrees that didnt help them in getting a high paying job....they are starting at the bottom of the ladder with all that debt.....So tell your daughter a diploma from a prestigous college may look nice framed, but doesnt mean much these days in a lot of job markets around the country....

Contributor

what I have always wondered about threads like this is that do we really need to receive everything we order in 2 days.  Are our lives so "busy" that we cannot survive without the item in 2 days, 3 days or even 5 days?  

This whole thing feeds into what is now the madness of this entire world.  Some things, yes I may need quickly, but most of the ****** I order can wait to be delivered for several days.  It's just not a big deal to me.

Honored Contributor

I have definitely noticed a slow down on deliveries even before the holidays. 

Super Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Many many months ago I predicted Amazon would have their downfall.  They took on too much too fast.

“Downfall”??

Amazon is around 22-25 years old now.

A Top Company in the World.

If they ever undergo a “downfall”, the SHOCKWAVES  will ripple 

very deep into the economy

and will be much worse than a package arriving a day late.

I started shopping there when Jeff sold only books.

Even though Im a long time Prime member, I do not expect or NEED 

any product delivered “instantly”.  I enjoy Prime for its other numerous Benefits (music, videos, books, etc).

Ive picked out a weekday as my DELIVERY DAY, which combines several orders (when possible) and cuts down on packaging materials and 

wasting of fuel as well.

Plus I know which day to expect my orders.

I usually get a $1.00 free ebook credit too, lol

Super Contributor

Re: The Q is Not Alone

[ Edited ]

I order my Bill his prescription food by 2 cases at the same time.

Last Spring several of the cans busted open and they refunded me a case.  I gave what wasn't busted to my friend (she works for the Vet and could easily tell what was good and not).

I just received 2 new cases and a few of them are very, very dented.  Monday or maybe tomorrow I'll call Chewy and let them know.

The problem is when it's packed in the box one case pushes on the bottom and it dents the bottom case.  You can tell it's only on one side of the case.

The young girl at Chewy last time told me to keep the printed numbers on the top of the box so I did this time.

It's only 4 or 5 cans on this one that's busted.

I figured everyone got a Chewy christmas card.  It's so cute.  I just received mine.

Not to be offensive,

but  so what if some cans are dented!?

The cost to pack, ship and send replacements is passed on to

US, or (more likely) to the employees via fewer Raises, or less

benefits for Chewy employees.

If something arrives in less than perfect shape, I don’t bother complaining..

because at some point I may get a SERIOUSLY damaged product

and request a replacement.

If Amazon *flags* folks for the amount of refunds/returns/exchanges 

in their Account, then I’m in the clear.

But it’s mostly my conscious that keeps me from complaining about trivial stuff....such as  a “late” delivery, or an exterior “crush” on a box, etc.

Especially during Nov/Dec.

Which is why I shop year round for Gifts.

Anything I need :::::::::fast, I will go in person.

Those Amazon workers (along w  UPS ETC.) are busting their behinds

jumping in and out of vehicles, fighting traffic, trying to find each address,

on the RUN.....ALL DAY LONG.

The warehouse workers as well.

Lets all give thanks that we can push a button and have what we want 

plunked down at our home in a short time.

Honored Contributor

USPS issued a statement saying they are not guaranteeing overnight mail and priority mail through the rest of the holiday season.  It's not just UPS.