Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Pope flew to NYC on American Airlines!

@KathyPet wrote:

The plane was CHARTERED from American.  This was not a regularly scheduled flight.  Believe me no matter how much the media tries to portray him as some "pope of the people" he's the Pope and he isn't getting on some regular American Airline flight.

The media hasn't misrepresented anything about this at all.  I've been watching several channels pretty much non-stop for days, and I never heard anyone say he was on a regular flight.

I happen to be Jewish, but I think he's an amazing Pope, and very much in touch with the feelings and concerns of "regular people".  Being a caring & compassionate person doesn't mean it makes sense for him to walk the streets all by himself or fly on a plane the way the rest of us do.

Of course he can't be on a regular flight.  The security precautions would be prohibitive, and it would be foolish to even attempt that.  I would fully expect him to be on a charter, and it doesn't take away at all the fact that he does seem to be an especially compassionate, intelligent, and wonderful man.  

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

A reporter at JFK explained that the Pope clies on an airline from the country where he is flying from.  So he flew an Italian airline first and now that he's in the US, he's flying an American airline, this time American Airlines.  Pretty neat.

Also, the same reporter said he flew business class (no mention of first class or any reason why), but walked all the way into coach which was occupied by the press accompanying him today.

I just watched the Vespers service from St. Patrick's which was so impressive.  The Pope's message I expected to be moving, but the cathedral itself looks stunning; I haven't walked in for years and years, but having seen it in its glory, I want to return.  Also, the music was so beautiful. 

Today the Pope helped the US show itself at its very best.

Business class on Alitalia

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/06/flight-review-alitalia-a330-new-magnifica-business-class-mxp-jfk/

Trusted Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

He may have flown 1st class but he gets out of his seat and walks towards coach to talk to the press corps and those in coach.

@Kachina624 wrote:

I heard he flew first class.

The whole plane is designated for the Pope, press and entourage.  Two of his entourage are doctors; you will notice Francis limping as he has a case of sciatica.  He is not up there drinking and eating; he rests and writes his homilies/sermons.  Protocol is that he flies in from Italy via Alitalia, also while carrying the Pope is Shepard 1 and then flies the airline of a host country, also Shepard 1 both planes are retuned to commercial service.   

Thank you, Greenhouse and JustJazzmom, for your thoughtful and peaceful answers to a poster who likely wanted to provoke a negative response.  I guess a few days of peace around the visit of Pope Francis was too much to hope for.

So TYPICAL.

Trusted Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@redhead78 wrote:

Just wondering why this is even worth mentioning?

I will be glad when every movement does not make interrupting news.

What exactly did it interrupt here?  A home shopping board?

Great comment!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

The plane was CHARTERED from American.  This was not a regularly scheduled flight.  Believe me no matter how much the media tries to portray him as some "pope of the people" he's the Pope and he isn't getting on some regular American Airline flight.

The media hasn't misrepresented anything about this at all.  I've been watching several channels pretty much non-stop for days, and I never heard anyone say he was on a regular flight.

I happen to be Jewish, but I think he's an amazing Pope, and very much in touch with the feelings and concerns of "regular people".  Being a caring & compassionate person doesn't mean it makes sense for him to walk the streets all by himself or fly on a plane the way the rest of us do.

Of course he can't be on a regular flight.  The security precautions would be prohibitive, and it would be foolish to even attempt that.  I would fully expect him to be on a charter, and it doesn't take away at all the fact that he does seem to be an especially compassionate, intelligent, and wonderful man.  

Thank you, NYCSusan,

Wonderful to hear your positive posting.  We are all children of the same God.

When my husband and I were watching the interdenominational service at Ground Zero, we both cried.  When it was over, my husband commented to me, "Why can't it be like this every day?"  

Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

Thank you, NYCSusan,

Wonderful to hear your positive posting.  We are all children of the same God.

When my husband and I were watching the interdenominational service at Ground Zero, we both cried.  When it was over, my husband commented to me, "Why can't it be like this every day?"  

Yes, we are.  I have always believed that to be so.

And I reacted the same way that you did.  Part of it was because I worked in the World Trade Center, and anything associated with it is very emotional for me.  But I thought it was extremely well-done, and very very moving.  In fact, the entire time the Pope was in NYC, there was a feeling of love that was so inspiring.  But that service stood out for me as a true highlight.  I agree - It would be wonderful if it could be like that every day.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

There are no classifications on a charter ...he sits where he wishes and according to what he is doing....it is a matter of security...why is this relevant?  If he flew first class that means he is not the Pope of the People???

A news person reported there were 3 cabins. The pope and his guests are in first class.  Security and his entourage are in business.  The news people are in coach.

Respected Contributor

I guess it was probably air conditioned too.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I guess it was probably air conditioned too.

Hyacinth

It's an American Airlines plane that was taken out of service and chartered for the Pope's use while here in the USA. Once he returns home, this plane will go back into service with American Airlines and used by the general public. Of course its air conditioned!!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼