Honored Contributor

Down Or Down Alternative Comforters

I presently have a down comforter and am looking to replace it. I don't know if I should get another down (which I like) or get a down alternative one. I don't have allergies so that's not a problem. I know the down is costly, so I am wondering if I would be just as happy with a down alternative and save a little money! What do most of you have and do you have any advice for me?

Respected Contributor

Re: Down Or Down Alternative Comforters

There is nothing like down - the alternative isn't breathable like down is - I've had my down comforter for years - it's washable - patched it a few times - but I just love it. 

Honored Contributor

I've had both and didn't like the down alternative.  I love my down comforter.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go with what I like and get a down comforter.

Esteemed Contributor

Check out costco.com - the Kirkland down comforter gets great reviews.

Honored Contributor

Thanks I'll check it out but I'm not a Costco member. My brother-in-law is so who knows!

Honored Contributor

I found that a down comforter is too much warmth for my climate so I got a down blanket.  It's very warm and just right for the coldest nights.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I use quilted blankets too, and have both down and down alternative.

The blankets are very light, and if I put two on the bed when it's REALlLY cold I think they're warmer than a comforter.

Much easier to manage, wash better than a comforter.

I think maybe down alternative may be a little heavier than down, but I'd guess not by too much.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2,

Hello ~

As you mentioned, you have no allergies, then always consider 'down' comforters. There is no match for their warmth or light weight. 

We have 3 King size Northern Nights that are over 10 years old-still going as durable as the day we put them on for those cold wintery seasons. 

I have washed 2 of them at (least) 8 times. So soft yet so cozy without any feel as having 3+ blankets on. The 3rd one is a higher thread count, so I keep a sheet over that one - too much of a task to wash each year. That one would be in need to go to a Dry Cleaners. 

Cost factor may play into your budget, though? The 2 that are a lower thread count was, then....around $200.00, and the higher count around 350.00$$. 

Worth every penny, though!

What I 'love' with __down__is that they can be used all 3 seasons...no bulk, no fragile care, no scratchiness. With alternative, the fabric is stiff, makes crunchy sounds when brand new, does not have the snugness. We have both(company)/allergies. I don't think you'll be buying anymore for a long time, if you do decide ____down...anything~ Hope this helps a little.....

Ps: The price of a quality -down- is much lower, NOW, than when we purchased ours. Both are about the same price...from what I have seen in the department stores. I really do not believe you would need the higher thread count unless you have winters below zero...just my opinion~

NAES

Esteemed Contributor

Check out "Cuddledown"...just google and search "comforters"...They have a wonderful selection and their quality is the best!...We bought a down alternative from them about five years ago and love it!...They have many to choose from...One is called the "Temperature Regulating Synthetic Fill Comforter" and has great reviews.

They are all made in the good ole' USA (Yarmouth, Maine)!...Their site is very informative and their customer service is wonderful also...very helpful, so browse and enjoy!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~