Honored Contributor

This morning I saw the obituary for a guy I used to work with.  I haven't seen him in a couple of years, prior to that once and awhile in the supermarket.  The thing is it got me thinking about the old days at work, and how different my life is now .  He was my age , which kind of creeped me out, silly I know. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 Not silly.  Covid, you think?

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

This morning I saw the obituary for a guy I used to work with.  I haven't seen him in a couple of years, prior to that once and awhile in the supermarket.  The thing is it got me thinking about the old days at work, and how different my life is now .  He was my age , which kind of creeped me out, silly I know. 

@QVCkitty1 

I'm still working and it does make us stop and think how delicate life is when a co-worker passes away..... 

Just in the last couple months there have been a couple of co-workers in our office (one passed away following heart surgery), and another  collapsed and died---(he did have several health issues)---And no link to Co-Vid in either case per their respective doctors because the surviving spouse asked out of concern.......

And with restrictions caused by the pandemic you cant even go to the funeral to offer condolences, just send a card or call...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

@QVCkitty1 Not silly.  Covid, you think?

I have no idea what cause of death is.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I'm a regular obit reader.  When people are near my age, I'm more concerned than when they are much younger (I'm grateful for the additional time I've been given) or much older (maybe I'll make it that far too). 

Maybe "concerned" is the wrong word.  Just thinking "If they did, I could too."  Silly.  Morbid.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

It does make one stop and think. A few weeks ago a lady about 10 years younger than me that we use to go to church with died. I was told it was a heart attack, but I'm not sure. She would have been about 40. 

Her husband died several years ago in a car accident, her children are now orphans. Doesn't seem like it could be real, yet it is. 

Trusted Contributor

Twenty three years ago my younger brother dropped dead while he and his pregnant wife were making dinner. He was 34. Since then, I think my attitude towards death has changed. I am 65, in very good health, and am thankful for every morning my feet hit the floor. My younger sister is having a hard time with growing older and I always tell her I' ll take old age over the alternative.

Trusted Contributor

Reading an obit wherein a classmate has died bothers me more than a co-worker. 

But then again I have lived longer than some family members. One  (1) sister died in early 40's, two (2) close cousins died in middle 3O's, and husband died in early 50's.

Have a family history of cerebral aneurysm (father and sister) as well as a great grandmother and cousins. 

Like @NEvans2  said. I "am thankful every morning my feet hit the floor". I choose not to worry what might be and live for the present.

Regular Contributor

@esmerelda  I get very sad when I see older people listed.  I really think they were the "Greatest Generation" and cannot imagine surviving depression and all of the hardships they endured.  Their leaving is truly our loss.

Honored Contributor
Not a week goes by without the death of someone we know; whether it was a neighbor, work friend, church friend, former boss, or best friend, we dread looking at the obituaries every day.

My best friend died recently, and her family has truly struggled. Months after her death, the family finally found her instructions, and realize they missed a few things. This has caused me to look at my personal instructions again, update and tweak a few things; make all of my family read it and watch me put the envelope back in its place, in hopes they won't be as lost as my friends family!