Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

It's great living rural!

I put in my address once & it doesnt know where Im at!!!

Love it!

Same here.  Put our address in and it showed 3 other residences.  Well my address is a private lane.  I'd sure like to know where these other 3 homes are.

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

I'm a new user to this website.  At first, it seemed like a good way to connect with other locals.  Now, it seems like it's just a way for real estate agents to advertise

our local site is full of real estate ads, and many users aren't happy.  Other users claim that the ads pay for the site to exist.  I'm on the fence.....

@septemberWe don't have any realtors on our site. Perhaps you and some other members can contact the "main person" who oversees the site. ??? That would annoy me, too.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Frequent Contributor

I've never heard of this before now, thanks for the heads up!

Esteemed Contributor

I've posted this situation I had a couple of months ago. I had a severe attack of diverticulitis and called the doctor. He wrote a prescription and I needed it to be picked up at Walmart - 15 min. away. I wasn't able to leave my house and didn't have anyone to help me. I posted on Nextdoor about needing someone to pick up my prescription --- 5 minutes later, a woman who lives on the next street came over. I never met her before. She also picked up electrolyte drinks and applesauce - as I hadn't eaten in 4 days. It's a lifeline. Several other people - men and women - offered to help me.

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep

The idea seems like a great way to connect!

Question: is it safe?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Do I just type in Nextdoor to get into the website?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Nextdoor has its plusses and minuses for me.

I live in a very large community and every other community around us is on this as well.  Right now we are up to 144 communities.

You can post to just your community or all surrounding communities. Many people make a mistake and post to all surrounding communities when it is just something that applies to ours.  

But, because there are tens of thousands of people who can post, we get a lot of ads as well.  We get recommendations, which are ads people in the communities can post and we get sponsored ads like all other social media.

We have one real estate broker who used to post constantly about begging you to refinance with him.  I think Nextdoor changed the rules, so he is no longer able to make those posts.  However, at one point, he was such a royal jerk and said some really offensive things that people kept posting to him that they would never use him for their mortgage based on his postings.  He finally just stopped posting.

Admins apparently can't remove people, only Nextdoor corporate can remove people.

I've seen people step up to help others a lot but I also see tons and tons and tons of complaints about dog poop and noise and parking issues.

As a result, so many people have turned off their notifications (myself included) and I just go out there once a day (or if I hear something going on) and see what people are fussing about.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I had a point and forgot to post it.  LOL

I've noticed lately where 1-3 people will post a recommendation about some business.  For example, the other day, 3 people posted about this tile regrouting company and wrote these glowing reviews.

When I see something like this, I get the feeling they received free service to promote the business.  It's just the way they are written, way too over the top giddy about tile grout, that makes me think they are paid endorsers.

I've gotten some good and some bad recommendations from neighbors.  It's a good way to get names but I've found I really need to vet them.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 You don't have to post any personal information, address or phone numbers. If you want to reply to someone privately, you can do so, but it goes through the website so you don't directly get their contact info. unless they choose to answer you via email.  We live in a small very safe community, so I don't feel uncomfortable at all using this site. I have actually given my address out when giving away items. People can look us up in the phone book by name, too, so it's no more invasive than that, IMO.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

@september wrote:

I'm a new user to this website.  At first, it seemed like a good way to connect with other locals.  Now, it seems like it's just a way for real estate agents to advertise

our local site is full of real estate ads, and many users aren't happy.  Other users claim that the ads pay for the site to exist.  I'm on the fence.....

@septemberWe don't have any realtors on our site. Perhaps you and some other members can contact the "main person" who oversees the site. ??? That would annoy me, too.

Thanks.  I didn't have to do that....someone has addressed how to report inappropriate ads...and they seem to be gone now!