Honored Contributor

The Next Chapter in Disclosures

As they say, sunlight is the best disinfectant, and there seems to be a collective sigh of relief at the revelations of abuse and harrassment that have emerged about the "casting couch".

There also seems to be systematic abuse of defenseless minors that has existed for decades.  Few have talked on the record about it.  The ones who have, like former child actor Corey Feldman, have troubled histories so that their testimony can be "minimized".  Apart from Elijah Wood, I can't think of too many other child actors who have alluded to it.  Maybe others have.

Perhaps the atmosphere of fear and intimidation that paralyzed so many actresses for so long is also at work here.  If so, we can only hope the dam breaks, and the entire sordid system can be cleaned up.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Next Chapter in Disclosures

[ Edited ]

I think I’ve become numb to any more shock over these revelations. Hollywood is just the tip of the iceberg. Sure, we’ve all heard of the casting couch but I, for one, didn’t realize how prevalent it has been to this day. Politicians’ behavior was also a known commodity. Then we started hearing about men in the arts, in journalism, etc., etc. 

When I was still a teenager, on a full bus load of people, a man sat next to me and started massaging my thigh. I was petrified. I moved his hand away, but he persisted. So did I, moving his hand off me all the way to my destination. I should have told the bus driver but I was a 16 year old kid, ignorant and afraid. We hear about all the well-known men who abuse women but what about the unknown, unreported assaults that happen every day?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd personally like to see the agents and managers who are knowingly sending their clients to hotel rooms to meet with power players they have "heard things about" get some of what's coming to them too.  

No excuse for that.  It's one thing to warn your client and have them make their own decision but I've heard a couple of actors coming back with their stories to their agents and managers and they not being the least bit surprised.  

Just as culpable if not more so.  Anything to make their commission. And, as an actor, hard to get a replacement agent or manager especially if you landed a good one.  Catch 22 all over the place.

Alyssa Milano recently talked about her experiences although not in detail.  And Paul Petersen has had an advocacy group for child actors for decades and is responsible for most of the good child labor laws on the books today.        

Honored Contributor

And children and minors are the least equipped to process and act on the things perpetrated on them.  That's why I'm so hoping that this latest round of casting couch revelations will prompt reform.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14, I had forgotton about Paul Petersen's efforts.  Good man.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I have three nieces heavily involved as child actors these days. Believe me, this topic is so on fire in our household these days.  

Honored Contributor

I have heard of the Corey Feldman and younger boys allegations for years. Just like the HW ones, bits and pieces, rumors here and there. There are a lot of boys that were involved with Corey. Hope he finally tells all. 

Respected Contributor

That is why Shirley Temple's mother would be with her in all situations.  She made sure Shirley was protected in every way.

Honored Contributor

While it is depressing to read and hear about the sexual harrassment issue, it is also positive it is coming  out and the public being made more aware.  Also it should help those who are afraid of coming forth with these terrible stories and  have the courage to do so.

Sexual harrassment  happens at all phases of life, work, casting couch, politics, within families, everywhere.  It isn't a new revelation by any means and has been going on for a very long time.  

These people who mistreat and abuse are a plague especially child predators.  They come from all walks of life, all ages and infect our society with their sickness.  These are criminal acts, not acceptable and certainly need to be punished.  Women must come forth and also men who have been sexually harrassed and not be afraid.  Society must believe and accept this is reality and be very aware.  For all the public figures who are in the papers now, there are so many private citizens hiding this terrible secret.  It is a life changer for many and help needs to be an option, not hiding it all under a rug.

Regular Contributor

When abuse of youngsters in the church was proved to be so prevelent, it's amazing we're shocked by anything these days.