Honored Contributor

Re: The Next Chapter in Disclosures

@software wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

I thought the topic was men who take what they want without permission. Not consensual acts.

Again, this is a crucial distinction.

Men who cheat in a consensual relationship are exhibiting bad behavior. Men who take what they want without consent are criminals.

Depends on what you mean by consentual.    If a man in a position of power is having "consentual" relations with an employee, that's still abuse of power in my book.

So women are incapable of making their own decision at any time with anyone that happens to be more powerful than they are?

I can tell you right now that was not the case in my situation. I wanted to do what I did because of how I felt about the person as as individual and their supposed power had zero to do with it. They could have been the janitor and the connection would have been there. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I don't believe Corey Feldman is going to tell everything he knows; he's been holding it in too long.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I don't believe Corey Feldman is going to tell everything he knows; he's been holding it in too long.

@YorkieonmyPillow  Last I heard he wanted 10 million dollars to make a tell all independent film and hire full time security for his disclosure. 

I feel bad for him.  He is one guy with MAJOR issues and a lot of good reasons why.  

Regular Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@software wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

I thought the topic was men who take what they want without permission. Not consensual acts.

Again, this is a crucial distinction.

Men who cheat in a consensual relationship are exhibiting bad behavior. Men who take what they want without consent are criminals.

Depends on what you mean by consentual.    If a man in a position of power is having "consentual" relations with an employee, that's still abuse of power in my book.

That may be, but consensual relationships don't normally fall into the criminal realm. If the person in power coerced a relationship or threatened the partner using power, the the relationship is no longer consensual. 

Exactly. I'm quite sure it wasn't abuse of power when Bill Gates pursued Melinda who worked for him. Or when Reese Witherspoon dated Jim Toth, a former employee. Abuse of power is when someone is coerced, which could still be considered non-consentual.

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow  Last I heard he wanted 10 million dollars to make a tell all independent film and hire full time security for his disclosure. 

I feel bad for him.  He is one guy with MAJOR issues and a lot of good reasons why.  

Heard the same thing.

I think he is too scared to come forward....probably with good reason...

Honored Contributor

One of the problems seems to be the way that children in adult "show biz" situations are often in sequestered situations with the abusive adults.  I was just reading about the recent case in Texas of a school counselor having sexual contact with elementary school students;  in that case it was both parents and other students who were part of the reporting network.

In Hollywood, the predatory executives are able to operate in secrecy with their young charges.  For whatever reason, the parents are not always in the loop, or believe that the meetings their children have are on the up and up and will result in glorious careers.  Shirley Temple's mother may have been considered a pest by the studios, but she was clear-eyed and protected her daughter.

Honored Contributor

All of this is very sad.

All of this needs to come out in hopes of curbing these behaviors in the future.

The “casting couch” should not be considered “business as usual,” IMO

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Maudlynn wrote:

@Maudlynn- it's about power and abuse of that power....not the act itself 

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I was around when women started going into the men’s locker room after the sports games to get that big interview.

I don't remember this.  Was this behavior illegal at the time?  

@deepwaterdotter- it wasn't illegal but then, you expect to see naked men, you don't complain or make charges you were disrespected.  If you think you belong in a locker room, as a woman, post game, then, you suck it up.  It's THEIR locker room and you went to their private space. 

Regular Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

@Maudlynn- it's about power and abuse of that power....not the act itself 

Big difference between someone having a consentual relationship, even if the person in the relationship is powerful and being touched, grabbed, kissed without granting permission.

Abuse of power would be coercing an underling into something they did not want to do. It is not in the same realm as consentual acts.