Honored Contributor

Dorothy must've been a giraffe.  She only wore flats.

Ever see the episode where Blanche and Rose did a dance routine while Dorothy was in the hospital. 

I have to say they had pretty good bodies for older women.  They were in their sixties I think. 

You'd never knew how petite Betty White was cause she was always wearing Ethel Mertz kind of dresses.  In her black tights and sequined tails she looked great.

Honored Contributor

Back in the day, those ladies were a class act when it came to their clothes.

And remember sometimes older women get cold.

Those women had already gone through the hot thing.

Women and men use to dress up just to go out to dinner.

I can remember a time when we went out to dinner, my Mother would even wear a hat and gloves.

Sometimes I wish we hadn't lost all that.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

30 years from now people will be saying the same exact thing about what we are wearing today. They'll say, "Man! What were they thinking? Those were some butt ugly clothes that they wore!"

@Plaid Pants2Woman LOL Yes, like I say now about those ratty jeansWoman Surprised

Respected Contributor

Yep.  Rose and Blanche both had really great legs.  

Respected Contributor

I was in my 30's during the 80's and sont remember seeing clothes like that.  I think their wardrobe people had no taste at all.

Rose was always cutesy, matchy, matchy, Blanche the sequin, shiny satin babe, and Dorothy always looked like she was hiding behind window drapery, with her big feet sticking out.  Boy, were their wardrobe people just being really mean or did they actually have no taste?  I always loved watching the Golden Girls, especially with my parents, they got such a kick out of them all,

especially Sophia.

Respected Contributor

A lot of it was all about camoflage & trying to divert our attention away from prominent tummies, saggy baggy whatevers, & so forth.  My mother was always nagging me to watch that show because of the way their clothes concealed figure flaws.  She was criticizing my weight by calling it "suggestions."  I resisted at the time because I was only in my late thirties, early forties & not ready to dress like a woman in her seventies.

When she finally shut up about it, I did start watching the re-runs & got a lot of laughs from their antics.  One time, they couldn't afford to fix the leaky roof, yet they all seemed to have lots of glitzy evening clothes.  Ah, yes, suspension of disbelief.  smile

Trusted Contributor

I loved watching Golden Girls back then, as well as now!  It is sad to watch the four of them while knowing that Betty White is the only one of the four who is still alive. 

I liked some of the outfits they wore -  especially Dorothy's.  I must say we have a ton more designers now than back then! 

Honored Contributor

@sallybusky wrote:

Just recently I watched what must have been the series finale. Dorothy was getting married (to Leslie Nielsen!) and moving out of the house. If you don't remember it, please Google it to see the ugliest wedding dress I've ever seen. (And no, I don't think all those 80's outfits were ugly. Some dated, some too blingy, but nothing that makes me think OMG like her dress. Regardless of our varied tastes on this forum (Logo vs. Nogo; bootcut vs. skinny jeans, etc.) I'm betting we'd all agree on this dress. 

@sallybusky Woman LOL

That dress was like a clown costume...  too funny...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: The Golden Girls

[ Edited ]

My mom always comments on how they wore some gorgeous clothes, so I guess it's in the eye of the beholder and certainly a generational thing... Blanche (Rue McClanahan) had it written into her contract that she got to keep her wardrobe, so she must've liked her costumes well enough... When I look at the reruns, it seems the clothes were good quality and I see an occasional separate that looks great, but not overall. They did, though, each have an individual style. Great show. Wish Hallmark, where I see it once in a while, would quit showing the same handful of episodes over and over, though.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I remember hearing/reading that Bea Arthur always wore scarves because she hated her neck.  After I heard that I started noticing that she sure did wear a lot of scarves!