Contributor

Re: The Evolution of simple language: "No problem", "No Worries". vs "You'

Honored Contributor

I think it's just a generational thing. Most generations bring something of their own to that era when it comes to language. I remember some of the phrases we used in the 60's.  Then there came the 80's and some new words coming out of my daughters mouth. Six years later my son was always saying, "what it is", and now I have 20+ grandsons saying, "no problem". I think it's pretty normal.

Respected Contributor

I don't equate "No worries" with "You're welcome."  They mean totally different things to me.

I first came across that expression years ago when working with Aussies, never heard it before then. It wouild be a response said to something more along the lines of, "I'm sorry, I misunderstood."  Or, "Sorry to bother you, but..." To which the reply would be, "No worries." - as in, "It's all good."

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan in California wrote:

We were out running errands a few days ago.  

In every instance, the younger people waiting on us

responded to our "Thank you(s)"  with either:

"No problem" or 

"No worries"

In the car, my husband just laughed and said he was

trying to get used to the new response.

It's very petty, and it means very little, and I suppose it is just the many cases of the general evolution of our

everyday language. 

I do miss "you're welcome", but who really cares?

I dislike the expression "No Worries." I first heard it 7 years ago by my neighbor who was a teacher and 70 yrs old.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like “my pleasure” which is what they say at Chick fil-a. I hear “you’re welcome” very rarely nowadays. I hear “have a blessed day” and “have a great day” instead. Not fond of either of them because they sound so automatic and rote..