Trusted Contributor

Re: The Evolution of simple language: "No problem", "No Worries". vs "You'

I was watching a series on Starz before the pandemic and it was broadcast in AU and they constantly said no worries. I guess they started it.  Don't really see how it is the same as you're welcome  I would never say it 

Honored Contributor

Who cares!!  The thanks yous are usually just an automatic saying the same as the responses are!!  I never liked the mindless "your welcome" response.  If someone thanks me for doing something special above and beyond I have always said "no problem" !

Honored Contributor

In France and Spain the response to "Thank you" is, translated, "It's nothing!" De rien! De nada!

I like saying, "Happy to do it!" as a response to "Thank you." Probably ticking some people off with that response too. "Who cares if you're happy!" blablabla.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

The "no problem" or "no worries" is a pet peeve of mine. I do prefer, "You're welcome," and would even accept, "of course." One of the local restaurants here has all of their customer facing emplyees say, "It's my pleasure." I do like that.

Trusted Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

The "no problem" or "no worries" is a pet peeve of mine. I do prefer, "You're welcome," and would even accept, "of course." One of the local restaurants here has all of their customer facing emplyees say, "It's my pleasure." I do like that.

When I was raising my kids I taught them this response, @Lisa now in AZ .

Even saying, “I’m happy to do it” or “You are very welcome” sound so much nicer than “no problem.” 

Honored Contributor

I think their replies translate into "you're welcome."  It's something they are used to saying...probably because others around them do.  

However, if they are being paid, "thank you" not necessary because they are paid to do that job, but I do anyway.  

Esteemed Contributor

I say "no problem and no worries" all the time (for years).  You're welcome is ok, but I won't go into shock if someone doesn't say it.  It could be that they really don't mean you're welcome and they say it because it is expected.  Who knows?  Any acknowledgment is better than none, so...no worries from me!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

When I was raising my kids I taught them this response, @Lisa now in AZ .

Even saying, “I’m happy to do it” or “You are very welcome” sound so much nicer than “no problem.” 

Why say it if it's not meant in every instance and could be just said out of obligation? @Teddie .

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

When someone told my mother "no problem", she'd respond, "I didn't expect it to be". 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think I've ever said "No problem" as a response to a 'thank you'.  And I'm positive I've never said 'no worries'.  

That just sounds weird to me.

An intended 'thank you' from someone will automatically get a sincere 'you're welcome' from me.

Now if someone is going on and on about me going out of my way for something or somebody, I may say 'it was no problem!'.

No worries?  No, has nothing to do with thanks or a response to thanks in any way, as far as I'm concerned.